Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

JGP389BEV2BB or something similar--I cant read the last 3

JGP389BEV2BB or something similar--I can't read the last 3 digits
We have a GE Profile downdraft cooktop. One of the burners on the right rear has not worked for some time. The igniter clicks and the gas flows but it does not light. However, it will light with a match. It will also light if I remove the burners plus the connected pipes (all one unit) from that side and insert the same part from the left side of the stove.

I would prefer to fix it without replacing parts, but if I could order a replacement part of burners and pipes I would probably do so. However, I don't know what it is called.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Ok this is a very common issue. Lift up the top so you can get at the burner that is not working. You will see a hollow aluminum tube that goes to the burner and is about 1/4" away from the burner. Now look at the burner right there where the tube meets up with the burner. There are a series of very small holes on the burner itself. They get plugged with food and spill over stuff. If these are not clear the burner will not light. Use a paper clip and clean out the holes, a paperclip is the exact size needed. Clean all of them out as there are I believe 3 vertically and maybe two horizontally right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've already tried this with the paper clip, several times. It still doesn't work.

OK can you see the spark in the middle and is the spark jumping straight up...not down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see the spark when I take out the rest. It seems to be going up. It does light the other burner (a little slowly, maybe 6 clicks instead of 3).

Ok this is a simple system. You have to make sure all the small ports on the side of the burner are clear. Second make sure the tube is clear that goes back to the spark electrode. Three clean off the electrode tip and sand off the top metal point where the spark jumps to to make sure you are getting a good up spark. If all is working it should light. Often people do not get all the ports on the burner clear. Some may be hidden due to grease and are often missed, often you need to bend a paperclip at a right angle to get at the lower ones as the tube gets in the way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is good to know that I have tried everything that a service tech would try. I have already tried the paper clip in every one of the holes a dozen times. After your last answer, I got out a screwdriver and unfastened this burner from the other, checked for obstructions and scrubbed the whole thing out with water and detergent. It still won't light. If it will not light after it dries out, I am going to save the cost of having someone come out and just order a replacement part. Do you know what the part is called?

Blow it all out really good, it will not light wet. The inside of the burner may be corroded not allow gas through those smalls holes to back feed back to the spark. If it does not light after it is all blown out then order one. Also Try and put a flame by the other end of the tube by the electrode when trying to light it see if the burner will light.....Lastly when you do light the burner see if you get a small flame out of all the small holes that stack by the pipe. If you do not the inside of the burner is corroded. The burner is around $80 and looks like it is on backorder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! I lit it with a match and got the burner working, but it still won't ignite with the spark on this burner, although it will when I put the burner from the other side in. And I am getting a flame out of the stack holes. So I will probably have to order the part and wait for it to be available. I know you are tired of talking to me and I wanted to thank you VERY much for your patience. This will be my last reply and I will rate you a 5.

Sounds like the spark may not be good enough or check the tube that lines up with the spark electrode. Sometimes just a slight bend down to make it line up better will make it light. Hopefully you will get it going...just replace the burner and it should work fine.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.