Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have an 10 year old LG refrigerator with bottom freezer.

I have an 10 year old LG refrigerator with bottom freezer. The top refrigerator section is not holding sufficient temperature... it is barely cool. The freezer is working fine. What might be the problem?
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.The fridge does not have its own cooling source..It is cooled From The freezer ..There is a fan located in the freezer..Make sure you can hear it running..If so..Look very closely at the back INSIDE freezer wall for any type of frost..If there is frost..This means you have a defrost problem..Which normally ends up being the defrost thermostat..It is located behind the back INSIDE wall...If the fridge is not defrosting then the evaporator coils which are also behind the INSIDE freezer wall become blocked...This blockage does not let air flow through the coils and up to the fridge..The fix is to have the Defrost thermostat assembly tested..Which means the back INSIDE wall must be removed to access the Defrost assembly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I checked the freezer compartment & removed all the bins & there is no frost build up. When I tried to open an area of the back wall (thought it might lift up to show something) the fan came on & cold air was blowing. What should I try next... wait & see if it cools refrig??

Yes if the fan was not running and it is now then you might have had a loose wire..If not..go around back..Remove the back cover..Feel the round black tank (compressor) to see if it is hot to the touch..If it is hot to the touch..You have no lint build up on the coils under the fridge and the fan next to the compressor is running..Then you have a sealed system problem..(Faulty compressor..Leak in the coils.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, the compressor is hot to touch; the fan is running; coils seem clean; slight amount dust on bottom tray. Do not see evidence of any leaking. If it is a loose wire where should I look to check?

If the Compressor is hot to the touch then you do have a sealed system fault...Which is a expensive fix unfortunately..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me an idea of about how expensive? Need to decide if it is worth it or buy a new refrig. Also, I have spent hours today trying to find a repair service that works on LG & have had no luck. Do you have any recommendations for finding a repair service. And if I buy new refrig, do you have any recommendations as to best brands, meaning reliability of product & ability to have service?

At 10 years old it would not be feasible to invest in a sealed system repair, more so on a LG as you have found out by having no luck finding a service company that will work on it for you.Anything Whirlpool would be on the to buy list..Stay away from LG....Samsung..Also please remember to rate my answer to you at ok or better before leaving today...Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thank you for this advice & your assistance with trouble shooting the was very much appreciated.

THANKS a bunch!

You are very welcome..Thanks Bob