Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Re my HE2 clothes washer ....about 6 years old. Have just

Re my HE2 clothes washer ....about 6 years old.
Have just begun to hear metallic rattle as the spin cycle begins. Not there when I spin the tub by hand. I have the back panel off and nothing obvious is awry.

Are these the model/serial numbers?(NNN) NNN-NNNN4619 (NNN) NNN-NNNN2

Is there a DIY fix here?

Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.Hi Howard..Sorry you are having this problem..The sound you are hearing is either from the inner drum rear support coming loose..Or the washers rear bearing failure...If you are handy this can be a Do it Yourself job..But unfortunately the cost of parts is on the high side..What you will need to do is remove the complete drum from the cabinet..Break down the front and back halves of the outer drum to access the bearing and support..It is a major job..CLICK HERE for a video to give you a idea of what is involved..Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Watched the video - looks like more than I want to do. You mention it might be the rear drum support. Can this be viewed with the back panel off?

Just depends upon your skills but yes it is a involved job..If you watch the video ..You will see once the tech removes the drum from the rear half of the tub..The shaft which goes through the bearing and connects to the pulleyl...This is part of the Drum support..It is connected to the rear of the inner drum..So no you will not be able to access the rear drum support from the back...The inner tub needs to be removed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - understand. I'll find a local repair man.

Thanks for your help.

No problem at all..If it is a complete bearing replacement..Then having it repaired is very costly..Depending upon the overall condition ..You might be better off putting that money towards a new unit..Also please remember to rate my answer to you at ok or better before leaving today..Thanks and good luck on your repair..Bob