Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a frigidaire Gallery FRS24wscB1. The freezer drain

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire Gallery FRS24wscB1. The freezer drain is plugged. I have defrosted it poured hot water and no draining. I was able to feed some thin tubing down the drain ~ 11 inches before it stopped. So, I believe that the problem is not due to freezing, but that the drain is clogged further down the line. However, I cannot find the exit end of the drain in the back or under the fridge. any suggestions? the drain hole inside the freezer is already hard to get at because it is behind the coils, and i could barely get my small fingers to feeding the tubing into the drain. I see online that some fridge manufacturers have 'hidden' drain pans.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Give me one minute to look up your model number. But just so you know, the drain line and tubing will usually go down the back of the freezer/ ref through to the compressor and drain pan underneath and in the back of the ref. And to access that you will have to pull the ref out and remove the lower back panel of the ref. After removing the panel in back you should see a curved or "s" looped drain hose that pours into the drain pan.

Jon :

let me check your model and I'll tell you for sure where the drain tube comes out.

Jon :

be right back.

Jon :

Okay, got it.

Jon :

On your machine the drain pan is actually under the compressor itself. A lot of ref manufactures would do this in efforts to keep the compressor cool.

Jon :

Look at the compressor area and the compressor itself and you should see the compressor resting in and around the drain pan.

Jon :

And just above it you should see the drain tube.

Jon :

I would just keep flushing really hot water down the drain tube and the ice or blockage will budge. If that doesnt work, I would suggest shooting some compressed air down there to free it up.

Jon :

If that still doesnt work then you will have no choice but to unplug and turn the ref off for at least two days to allow the drain lines to properly defrost on its own.

Jon :

Then plug it back in and let it run as normal. And if the drain lines freezes up again you will have either a bad defrost control/ timer, heater or thermostat. And I would suggest calling in an appliance service tech in to check the defrost components correctly. But if you have an ac volt meter with a continuity or resistance check on it, I could walk you through some steps for checking the components.

Jon :

You can also get a drain heater that runs down the drain tube. This will act to keep the tube warm so it can't freeze.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you would like to check the defrost components or can't find the drain pan or tube in back under the ref and I will help you more.

Jon :

And if you feel that I have answered your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after positively rating my performance please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks.

Customer:

Found the drain tube. It was not under the compressor, which on the backside of the fridge is in the center, or left of center. The drain tube was on the far right, deep to the fan. a little bit of water of what I poured earlier had come through, so that i found the pan (which is under the fan, to the right of the compressor) because of the little bit of water, and secondarily that led me to the drain. Probably a straight shot from the hole under the inside freezer coils, a straight black tube ending and fitting into a holding place in the corner of the pan. i was able to loosen the bottom end and it was full of grime. (not frozen, as i indicated already, and in arizona in the summer time i'd wager it doesn't take 2 days to thaw anything) . I think the end of the tube was nearly flush with the pan, so detaching it and scooping out the grime was much faster than trying to clear it by pouring more water (but large hands would have had trouble getting to the tube without dismantling other parts out of the way.

Customer:

water poured through nicely after i got the grim out. But will still have to watch it over the next week or two to see if it does have a problem freezing up. hopefully it was just the grim.

Customer:

Sorry, you missed it on the location, but thanks for the help and advice anyway!

Customer:

And your picture is nice too.

Customer:

really no room inside freezer to put compressed air hose down the drain from the inside, because its covered by the coils

Customer:

but maybe "Dust Off" canned air with the little skinny straw might have helped. And typo...i meant grime not grim.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karla,

Thank you for the location of the drain pan. In the diagram I was looking at for your model was not to clear. It showed the drain pan under the compressor. Which in some other models is that way. So if the drain pan and tube was next to the compressor in yours just keep an eye on it for the next week or so to make sure it is draining.

As far as for forcing the compressed air down the drain tube, to access the drain tube you would have to remove the food and drawers from the freezer compartment and then remove the rear inside evaporator panel. Once that panel is out you will clearly see the drain pan and drain tube just under the evaporator coils. that is the inside drain and there you should have enough room to send some compressed air and even pout hot hot water down the tube there.

But if you couldnt do that, that is ok. Just monitor it and make sure it is ok in the next few days and week.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I wil help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.