Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Used Mah9700 Part #s were scratched off found pics look like

Customer Question

Used Mah9700 Part #'s were scratched off found pics look like my unit. I think the hall sensor is bad. Is it worth fixing got 4 years out of heavy use out of this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : If it is just the hall sensor and the rest of the machine is in good shape I would say it is definitely worth fixing.
Jon : After fixing the machine you should get at least another 3-5 years out of it. Assuming you don't misuse or abuse it.
Jon : What numbers are scratched off? Are you talking about the model and serial numbers for the washer? Or the actual part numbers for the parts? If you know the model number I can get part numbers for you. Otherwise, if the numbers are not legible then we will have to match it up and I can do that for you as well. I can also tell you were to get parts cheaply and have them set right to you.
Customer:

That is a whole motor replacement. It is part of the motor. Then I figure 230.00 at least for the part.

Jon : Let me check it for you. You used to be able to get just the sensor and no the whole motor. I know whirlpool change some part numbers recently and have made some parts together as an assembly. I will check it out for you now.
Jon : Is your model number definitely mah9700? And what are the last few digits? Aww or avw?
Customer:

Yea all the #'s are scratched off but I think that is the right model. I need to confirm it is bad. Like I said the pump works the barrel does spin free . Circuit board is functioning normally. any suggestions?

Jon : Ok so it just doesn't spin at all? And you get the e-3 error code?
Customer:

I can here a hum from around the stator ring.

Customer:

I never got the code the wife did. I did see the EO messsage though.

Jon : Ok. Can you spin the motor by hand?
Customer:

Yes it does spin free

Jon : Ok. And it fills washes or agitates and drains fine?
Customer:

I think the E# XXXXX is tach speed.

Jon : if so, then it is usually the hall sensor that causes this issue. But I have seen the control board fail as well. Let me see if I can get just the sensor. Give me a few minutes to look up part info. Be right back.
Customer:

No It didn't fill back up with water before I took it out of the room.

Customer:

Thought about pushing it back in and trying it again??

Jon : Ok. The tech error is correct. The control can't recognize how fast the motor is spinning and will stop when it gets to a spin cycle. The tach error is for the miscommunication between the hall sensor and control. And like I said it is usually the sensor that fails.
Jon : Dont worry about putting it back just yet. Let me check a few things first. Be right back.
Customer:

I think it comes as one unit with the motor. If you could confirm that it would be cool.

Jon :

looking it up for you now. sorry bare with me the website for parts is being slow right now. They must be working on it.

Jon :

just a few more minutes.

Jon :

I am sorry but it looks like whirlpool has discontinued the hall sensor. Or what used to be called the rps sensor. You can only get it with the motor assembly. It is part number W10183157. And should cost about $265-$300

Customer:

you still busy

Jon :

are you sure the connectors to the sensor and the control are fully seated and havent come loose? sometimes i see just a loose connector and plugging it back in will do the trick.

Jon :

did you not see my last response about the part info for the motor and how the sensor comes with the motor?

Customer:

checked the connectors to the sensor took them off and back in both of them.

Customer:

Yea that is what I thought.

Jon :

ok. and the board you said looked good as well?

Jon :

Then sorry. It unfortunately looks like you have to get the assembly to fix the issue.

Customer:

Yea is there anything you think I might check.

Jon :

how much did you spend for the machine? and how old is it?

Jon :

if it is older then 7 years old and being that you cant get just the sensor, it may be worth it for you to put the $300 towards a newer more energy efficient whirlpool top loading washer. they are the best for the money right now. and you can get a good one now for about $450-$500.

Customer:

spent 450 on it 4 years ago from a used appliance place in seattle. this the first issue I've had with it. Also have the maytag drying center withit.

Jon :

Do you have a meter, and ac volt meter to check the resistance on the board?

Customer:

Sure I can do that.

Customer:

I don't have a diagram

Jon :

oh. if you only spent $450 on it four years ago used then you have definitely gotten your moneys worth. it just doesnt make much sense to spend over $275 for a used washer. especially when you can get a better one for just another $100 or so.

Jon :

ok. let me get you the work flow chart out and tell you what to check.

Jon :

this is right out of the tech sheet for that model number. Do this test on the main board and you will know for sure if the motor or the main board is bad.

Customer:

Cool

Jon :

check resistances at the CN9 and CN8 connectors at the main control board. Unplug the CN9 connector from the control board and check: pin1 to pin2, pin1 to pin 3, and pin2 to pin3. You should have the same resistance reading on all 3 tests (approx. 3-5 ohms). Disconnect the CN8 connector from the control board and check : Orange to all wires in the connector should have infinite resistance. Blue to Pink should have 4.7 ohms , Red to Pink 4.7 ohms , Red to Blue 9.6 ohms. If all your resistance readings are in range, your motor and wiring is OK, and you'll need to replace the main control board.

Read more: http://appliantology.org/topic/35533-maytag-neptune-mah9700aww-e3-be-error-code/#ixzz2b9XjWzJR
Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

Jon :

The main board is expensive as well.

Customer:

How much?

Jon :

The main board is actually more. at about $287. it is part number 34001497.

Jon :

save yourself the time and energy here and retire the machine. That is just my opinion. WE know for sure it is either the board or the sensor. And since both parts are about $300, it will not be worth it on this one to fix. Sorry for the bad news.

Customer:

I'll check that stuff on the C/B tonight. I thinking it is new washer time though.

Jon :

i agree.

Jon :

i hate it when this happens. just think about how you got a good deal on it and that it has lasted you this long without repair.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you need more help and i will continue helping you.

Customer:

I still like to tear into a little more. Work on planes for a living. You pretty much confirmed what I thought. Just like another opinion sometime.

Customer:

Have a good night. Thanks for the help.

Jon :

I hear you. And you are very welcome. It is comforting in a way to hear from the professional that what you thought was correct. Just in this case it is bad news.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ron,

Thank you again for the positive rating. And the very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you need anything else.

Have a good night.