Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17years

Hi, how do I replace a light bulb that lites the cooktop beneath

Hi, how do I replace a light bulb that lites the cooktop beneath on a Whirlpool Microwave Model # XXXXX? The bulb is a tiny bulb with a copper connection? It is not a screw-in type. Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Here is a link to the parts for your microwave; just copy and paste into your web browser:

If the bulb you need is part #1 (8206232A), it is a screw in type, it may just be corroded.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to pull my stove out and crouch beneath to get a better look at this. I think, I am not sure, but I think the bulb/glass part has come apart from the base of the bulb; meaning the screw part is still left in the microwave. Now the question is, how do I get the base part out of the socket?

I would unplug the microwave and use needle nose pliers to grab and turn the metal base of the bulb. Even if you have to bend the sides inwards and completely destroy the bulb base to pull it out, that is o.k. Just be careful not to damage the surrounding threads that the bulb screws into.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hard, but I was able to get the base out. Thank you for your help!

Yeah, it's not always easy. Glad you got it removed though! Have a great night!