Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a Liebherr CS1650. The icemaker was hooked up at the

I have a Liebherr CS1650. The icemaker was hooked up at the time of installation not in the factory. I've had the refrigerator since 2010 and the icemaker has worked fine. I have occasionally seen heavy ice build-up behind the ice cube drawer. Currently, the back wall has a thin layer of frost but the icemaker does not appear to be working. I haven't heard the familiar water sound or the dropping of cubes. I used a great deal of ice over the weekend but it doesn't look as if any ice has been replaced. The indicator light is faint but on (can be seen only at eye level). How frequently should the fridge make ice? Karen Xxxxx (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 11 months ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is the orange lite on solid ? or is it blinking , how are the freezer temps ? are there any error codes in the display?thx

Customer:

The light is steady; the freezer temp is 0; there are no error codes in the display.

Randy 43 :

ok , if you pull out the icemaker drawer and put a towel in its place ,then press and hold the button under the lite for 3-5 seconds the tray should rotate ,flex and fill with water , can you tell me if it does that?

Customer:

I depressed the button for 5 seconds. The light started blinking but the tray didn't rotate.

Randy 43 :

can you press the button again till it is solid , then try pressing it again ,hold it a bit longer if necessary

Customer:

Held it 20 seconds. No rotation; no water fill.

Customer:

Could the amount of ice build-up behind the tray be the problem? Why should ice build up there? I have a self-defrosting model.

Randy 43 :

is the sensor underneath the ice tray intact ,it hasnt broken off? as for tthe ice it can raise the temps and cause the icemaker to not work , but cycling it manually like you are trying to do by pressing the button bypasses the temp

Randy 43 :

if you got frost on the back wall but no error codes in the display ,means air got in somehow ,most likely the door was ajar

Customer:

I can't see anything broken off or missing BUT I don't know what the sensor looks like or where it is located on the icemaker. As for the frost, the refrigerator

Randy 43 :

sensor is just as wire that attaches to the bottom of the plastic flex tray in the icemaker

Randy 43 :

did you try pressing the icemaker but for 5-10 secs with the lites blinking? if not you can try that way as well

Randy 43 :

button

Customer:

The sensor looks fine. All in tact.

Customer:

The light was blinking while I depressed the button; I didn't understand your last instruction.

Randy 43 :

try it with the lite blinking then try and get it solid and try it again , if it doesnt start turning either way then there is a problem with the icemaker board

Customer:

I just got about 8-10 cubes to drop using the alternating method.

Randy 43 :

ok press it again and see if it fills with water?

Customer:

I didn't hear the water fill, but I'm typing on the second floor and have to go downstairs to perform each test operation. Could it have filled after I left the kitchen?

Randy 43 :

feel in the tray for water , if it did fill it will be wet in the tray

Customer:

It's hard to get my finger in the tray but as far as I went, I couldn't feel any water.

Randy 43 :

try pressing the button again ,if you get it to turn again any water in the tray will spill out onto the towel

Randy 43 :

once it flexes it goes to the home position and fills , listen for water filling , you dont have any leaking from the bottom?

Customer:

I got it to turn again--no water. But after several more depressions of the indicator button, I heard the water-fill sound.

Randy 43 :

did it fill?

Randy 43 :

now it should dump that water ,if it turns again?

Randy 43 :

if it filled the tray? if not the fill tube has popped out at the back of the fridge

Customer:

I got it to turn again. Small amount of water did spill onto towel. Then I heard the fill sound again.

Randy 43 :

that is the way it is supposed to work ,it should fill the tray ,then dump it , if it is cold enough in the freezer and the icemaker does not produce cubes by itself? then the icemaker board is faulty , the icemaker obviously has power and the water is working , you may need to defrost the fridge to get rid of the frost build up and start fresh ..if still no ice and no frost then you need to get the board for the icemaker ..to get the ice maker back on ,you press it to turn again and after it fills and goes to the home position you put the icemaker bin back in , it has a magnet in the bin handle that completes the circuit and the icemaker lite should turn solid again , that means it is on

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I'll begin with defrosting, but it seems ridiculous to have to defrost a frost-free refrigerator. I have never left the freezer door ajar and do not have children in the home. I think I may need a service call. The Liebherr owners manual neglects to talk about defrosting or what frost build-up in the freezer means about the operation of the refrigerator. At least if I do need a repairman, thanks to you I'll have a lot of information.

Customer:

Anything further?

Randy 43 :

I know it is a frost free but if air got in it will do that , if a sensor was faulty it would give a error code in the display , I deal with a couple towers that have that model in them and have become familiar with that model, they are very delicate ,you cant even take a hair dryer to them or they can cause freon leaks from the tubing connections internally , any frost build up reqs leaving it off unfortunately , that is the recommended procedure from the manufacturer themselves ,if it continues to come back then you look at possible sensor issues but they almost always start having a error code come up, they are a pain to work on ,just being honest with you

Customer:

Thanks again. So much for German engineering. I'm signing off.

Randy 43 :

ok ,good luck ,thx for using JA

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert