Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

Maytag side-by-side refrig. MZD2677GEW. Freezer control on

Maytag side-by-side refrig. MZD2677GEW. Freezer control on 2, freezer is steady at about 4-5 degrees.
Fridge is holding at about 48-50 degrees, regardless of setting.
Checked coils, not frosted over.
Air movement into fridge seems very low.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 11 months ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..when you say the coils are not frosted , are they atleast lightly frosted from top to botton? is the fan running in the freezer above the coils , also have you checked the air returns in to and out of the fridge section? thx

Customer:

Per the manual I shorted the L1 and Test leads on the ADC, before I opened the freezer panel. When I opened it 10 minutes later, it was unfrosted but dripping consistently.

Customer:

Also, I checked the air duct from freezer into fridge wal. It's clear. Did not check duct throught the styrofoam duct in the fridge.

Customer:

I also did not check vent from fridge to freezer. Where is it? Seems unlikely since air flow into fridge seems very low even with door open.

Randy 43 :

up at the top right there is a air vent in to the fridge one screw and it comes off and the return is beside the water reservoir in behind behind the 2nd crisper ..they are both clear

Randy 43 :

the little plastic door on the vent cover should be able to open properly

Customer:

OK, checked the top on in freezer, it's clear. Will go check the one behind crisper.

Customer:

Ok, I'm back. Both ducts seem clear.

Randy 43 :

fan was running in the freezer ? did you check the coil after it was running for 10-15 minutes, make sure its frosting from top to bottom? if it is only partially frosting it may be a leak ,short on freon, freezer would still get pretty cold

Randy 43 :

fridge just basically receives air from the freezer from the fan

Customer:

OK. I will check the coils again. Checked the fan and it seems to be running pretty fast when it's on.

Randy 43 :

ok, if both vents are open and the fan is running ,theoretically the fridge should be getting down to temperature , it may be a bad control ,i would turn the control halfway or a bit more ,and test the temperature with a liquid thermometer in a glass of water that has been in the fridge for awhile , you get a more accurate reading that way , if the coil is fully frosted and you have the temps up a little and you are not receiving the proper temps , i would suspect a faulty control

Customer:

VEnts are open, fan is running, coils are lightly frosted top to bottom, no significant difference.

Customer:

Sorry, keep hitting return before I'm done. Using two different thermometers. One says 48, the other 51. Tested both in other places, both seem reliable.

Randy 43 :

the cold control could be cutting out prematurely , if all else checks out , should be 37 -39 generally in fridge compartment

Customer:

How do I test the control? I see the lever, where is the actual control, or how do I test it further? Should I set the freezer control lower and test that? How does fridge control differ from freezer control? Sorry for so many questions.

Randy 43 :

fridge control is the one with the electrical connections ,freezer control is just a damper , they work hand in hand ..freezer blows air until the fridge control shuts off , testing it is hard , you just need to confirm that all other things are ok and put the controls in the middle setting ,if it doesnt get down to a normal temperature and coil isnt overly frosted, then you have to assume a faulty control

Randy 43 :

Temperature Control Thermostat - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Damper Control Assembly - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

control and damper , they are located in the ceiling of the fridge section , behend the lite cover

Customer:

MAnual says not to change the temp controls more than one setting at a time, i.e. If freezer is on 2 don't move to 5. Is that true? Can I just set both on 5 and see what happens?

Randy 43 :

yes , just put them both at 5

Customer:

If nothing changes, I will assume faulty control. Do I replace the entire control or is there a part inside to replace?

Customer:

I will wait about 2 hours before checking for temp change.

Randy 43 :

just that top control , you take the housing down and change the control bulb it goes into a hole in the freezer wall , you will see it when the housing comes down

Randy 43 :

picture of the top control

Randy 43 :

Temperature Control Thermostat

RepairClinic Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Temperature control thermostat for freezer

Manufacturer Number 67005335

More

$70.50

Quantity:

In Stock

Randy 43 :

it says freezer only because it mounts into the freezer wall

Customer:

I'll go check. It looks like it goes into back wall, not freezer.

Randy 43 :

it goes thru the back wall into a hole in the freezer section

Randy 43 :

2 hours should be good time frame to check

Customer:

Is that sensor coil supposed to go in the wall? This one is coiled near the end of the unit. Mine looksa little different than the one in the picture. Coil is at the back end by the wall coil attaches to end at the long axis, not on side. Are there two screws holding it on?

Randy 43 :

yes that coiled thicker part goes into the hole in the divider

Randy 43 :

sorry that control is a bit different than your model , your model was a little different , can you double check that ? it is a little off

Customer:

Fridge model is 2766, no 2677. Sorry about that.

Randy 43 :

Temperature Control Thermostat 61005327        Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this is the control

Customer:

Number on control is RD24-2016. I have a picture. Can I email or text it to you?

Randy 43 : Temperature Control Thermostat 61005327

RepairClinic Item #894469 (OEM Part)

$65.65

Temperature control thermostat

Manufacturer Number 61005327

More
Randy 43 :

can you post in here?

Customer:

Can't figure out how. Attachment option asks for URL.

Randy 43 :

that number should be the cold control number above , the model comes up now , that knurled end goes into a hole in the divider wall

Customer:

There's no way to post a picture on this site. The knurled end of that coil is in the fridge. It's just all curled up behind the unit by the back wall. I can't even find the hole to the freezer.

Customer:

Th rest of the infoon th unit says

Customer:

Robertshaw controls Co.

Customer:

78206-16

Randy 43 :

have you taken the lite cover off? ,your not talking about the damper's knurled end ? that is supposed to be in fridge section

Randy 43 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I took the lite cover and styrofoam vent off the roof. So I'm looking at the damper?

Customer:

I'm lost. i don't know where the temp control is.

Randy 43 :

damper is left of center , the main control is mounted to the right of center and runs along a channel to the extreme left wall , you cant see it unless you take that housing down and unplug the 3 quick connect plugs

Randy 43 :

the knurled end goes into a hole that you can see when it is off

Customer:

What I'm looking at is attached to the styrofoam vent near the back wall. I'll take the whole thing down and remove quick connects.

Customer:

Does the end of the coil attach to the wall inside the freezer? will it break off if I pull on it?

Randy 43 :

it is taped to the housing if you take the housing down it will come off with the housing

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

I give up, Randy. Sorry, but I'm afraid I'll damage the whole fragile assembly if I try taking that out. I'll have to call a repairman.

Randy 43 :

ok , there are those 2 phillips and 2 1/4 screws at the front and one at the back ...ok but if the temps dont get down to proper temp i would get that control changed ,everything else looks like it is working ok

Customer:

Couldn't it be the damper?

Randy 43 :

dampers never go , ive never had to change one ,i would be surprised if it was that , but let it go for awhile at 5 and see what temps you get ?

Customer:

I'll check it in the AM. How does this work? I need to sign out.

Randy 43 :

you just rate the service and ask any follow up questions at no charge ..

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.