Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Maytag Centennial Washer. Will not drain and spin. Slight

Maytag Centennial Washer. Will not drain and spin. Slight humming noise heard. Mod MVWC200XW2
SER C21830188

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..have you checked anything yet? it wont drain any water ?thx

Customer:

Please respond. Will not drain and spin. Slight humming noise heard. It washes and then stops and will not drain or spin. It is possible to drain the tank quickly by lowering the outlet hose indicating that nothing is plugged.

Randy 43 :

yes you can try lowering the drain and see if it syphons but if you havent checked the drain pump yet ? i would suspect that as being possibly plugged up , you can access that by bailing out as much water as possible ,flipping the machine backwards to get underneath ,then you can unclip the drain pump from the housing and make sure it is not plugged and the impeller can turn freely , below is a picture of the drain pump

Randy 43 :

Drain Pump - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

there will be a little water , the drain pump has a locking tab that you depress and turn the drain pump to unclip and it seperates from the housing

Customer:

I took the pump apart and there was some sand in it, enough to keep it from starting up. When I turned it it made a gritting sound.

Customer:

I could not access the pump as you described. I had to remove five screws(2 long and 3 shorter) that attach the pump to the bottom of the tub. The impeller, rotor shaft, and their housing then slip away from the housing and can be rinsed out.

Customer:

Thank you for your help