Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Have a Frigidaire ft. load washer, quits working with about

Customer Question

Have a Frigidaire ft. load washer, quits working with about 10 mins to go still on timer. Clothes are very wet.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.

Customer:

Hi

Jon :

does the drain pump pump the water out?

Customer:

yes, changed pump about a year ago.

Jon :

ok good. does the tub fully spin?

Customer:

tumbles but I don't think it spins fast.

Jon :

ok. That would be the problem then. lets look at a few things. are you with the washer now? can you run a few checks with my guidance now?

Customer:

ok

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

first, can you get me the full model number from off the machine>

Jon :

?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

it is located just under the lid of a top loader and just behind the door on a front loader.

Customer:

gltf2940es0

Jon :

on yours, open the door and look on the front frame of the washer.

Jon :

there should be a sticker with the full model and serial numbers.

Jon :

thanks. give me one minute to look up your model. be right back.

Jon :

ok. got it up now.

Jon :

first thing we want to check is the way the washers drain hose is hooked up to the stand pipe or plumbing. Is the drain hose elevated above the washer? and is it connected to the stand pipe of the house plumbing? and finally is it completely closed off with no air escape?

Customer:

mounted above washer in wall where water lines are.

Jon :

ok. good so it goes into the plumbing stack. in between the fill hoses, right?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

can you easily pick the drain hose out of the stand pipe to check the flow of water coming out of the drain hose?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

and about how much higher is the stand pipe when the drain hose goes, above the washer? a few inches or about two feet above the washer?

Customer:

few inches

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

so first let me ask, when the washer spins out at the end of the cycle, does it get loud? like a sueeling sound?

Customer:

no, seems to be ok but turns off with a little over 10 mins left on timer. Makes normal buzzer sound like load has finished.

Jon :

ok. and the clothes are still wetter then normal.

Customer:

alot

Jon :

please open the door and grab the stainless steel tub with one hand and shake it back and forth.

Jon :

does it move alot?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

and finally, spin it manually with your hand. does it wobble and move when you spin it by hand?

Customer:

no

Jon :

ok. no good. to much movement is signs of the bearing slipping. which causes the tub to move a lot. and if the tub moves alot on this machine it will not spin out to full speed. leaving the clothes wetter then normal.

Jon :

ok. now do this.

Jon :

put the washer in a regular or normal wash and with cold water. do a medium to large water level if possible? then push start. let it fill completely and stop it or pause the cycle. then set it to drain and spin cycle then again hit start. let the washer drain out. and when it starts to spin tell me if there is still water inside?

Customer:

ok

Jon :

if there is still water inside when it starts to spin the drain pump is slugish and you may need to clean out the filter and or pump and hoses. and then when it spins, if it doesnt get up to a real fast spin, then the bearings are bad.

Jon :

if the bearings are bad and are wearing out, which on this model at the age of this machine is very common, it is not worth repairing. It is simply not worth the cost of the parts and labor. job goes for about $500. parts and labor. and you will need labor or company to do the job. very labor intensive.

Jon :

And for that cost of repair you could get yourself a much newer more energy efficient whirlpool washer. it will last longer and save you a little more money as well.

Customer:

water drained out.

Jon :

ok. completely drained out?

Jon :

and again before it started to spin?

Customer:

makes noise even with water gone.

Jon :

are you still with me? hwo does it look when it is spinning out? with no clothes and little weight in the tub this should spin very, very fast.

Jon :

what kind of noise?

Jon :

grinding, squealling, or humming noise?

Customer:

making noise, has 10 mins on timer, now starting to spin.noise gone.

Jon :

where does it sound like the noise is coming from? the inside, back or bottom of the machine?

Jon :

i think the noise you are referring to is the drain motor. no big deal there.

Jon :

how is it looking when it is spinning?

Customer:

was a humming type,now it stop working with about 8mins left.buzzer went off to tell you it was finished.

Jon :

ok. you have a bad timer/ control.

Jon :

it should have at least went a few more minutes. to tell you the truth it should have went all the way down to the time had counted down.

Jon :

the timer seems off. the contacts in the timer and the relays are not sensing the correct time.

Jon :

let me get the part info for you now. be right back

Customer:

ok

Jon :

here is the part number of the control board.

Jon :

control board part numberNNN-NN-NNNN should cost about $150.

Jon :

here is where you can order it. they will even ship it out right to you.

Customer:

ok,hard to change ?

Jon :

click the image above to be directed to the parts page.

Jon :

no. not at all. just pull the washer out a bit so you can access the back of the top panel. then just remove the screws on the back of the top panel. then slide the top panel back to wards the back of the machine from standing in front of the machine. pull the panel off. then remove the dispenser infront of the control board. remove the two screws behind the front part of the dispenser. then remove the screws to the top part of the control board. and remove the wiring and remove and swap out the control boards.

Jon :

Thats it. not hard. should take you about 20 minutes.

Jon :

you can get back to me here if you have any other questions or need any help installing the part.

Jon :

Please remember to rate me positively now with ok service or better rating below this chat. and if you have more questions at any time please get back to me here and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks.

Customer:

ok,thanks for your help tonight.

Jon :

you are very welcome. glad i could help out.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you need anything else for this or any other machines.

Jon :

please remember to rate me positively below this chat now. thanks again.

Jon :

do you have any other questions for me now?

Jon :

Are you still there?

Jon :

If you dont have any other questions for me now, and feel that I have helped to answer your questions, please positively rate my performance with ok service or better rating below this chat now. And again, if you have more questions or concerns at any time, please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Jim,

Thank you for the positive rating and generous bonus as well. It is greatly appreciated. Should you have any other questions or have any other problems ordering or installing parts for this washer, please get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.