Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I want to completely remove the alarm system in my Sears Kenmore

I want to completely remove the alarm system in my Sears Kenmore Elite freezer. The damn thing has been going off since Day 1, even though the temperature has remained at zero throughout. I am an engineer & have my own thermocouple-based alarm system set up & just want it to be permanently GONE! Can you help, Larry? Thanks!

Ken
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

can I get complete model number of the unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sure, Chas. It's AMMELU81A.

Ken

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
If it is a sears, it should be all numbers no letters in it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sears Kenmore Elite upright freezer & what I gave you is all that is on the tag on the left inside wall.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
was the serial number there also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Try 26072, Chas. I found my manual where I'd written it. Sorry.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
It should not be hard to do, if you remove the bezel where the touch pad is, yo can unsolder the speaker , it is the round item in top right hand side of the picture below

Is that what you wanted to know?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The bezel is on very tight, Chas, & I really don't want to screw up the touch-pad. I tried slipping a thin-blade screwdriver under it, but it doesn't want to pry up. Any ideas?

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
I looked at the bezel, it should only snap on, use a wide blade putty knife to pop it.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry, I was wrong, you have to peel off the keypad and remove 2 screws behind it, then reapply the keypad again.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Did you get it off?

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I'm closer, but not there yet.

The speaker is surface-mounted onto the circuit board, & looking the back side, there are 5 or 6 places where it could be soldered. How do I proceed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still need to know how to disable the speaker without harming the rest of the circuitry.

Ken
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Several of the connections are most likely used to hold the speaker, look for the 2 that are the closest together and it should be it..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

"Most likely" doesn't hack it, Chas. If I unsolder the wrong connections, my touch-pad will no longer work, & guess who will be left hanging? Certainly not you!

And to get a good rating, you should have told me that you were leaving the conversation, instead of leaving me hanging for 8 hours! Sorry, but I don't consider your support as sufficient.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Sorry about that, however it was midnight last night and time to shut down after 14 hours, as for your problem, there is no way I can tell from the picture exactly which terminals to unsolder, I would have assumed you being an engineer that you can tell with it in your hand, you are right, if you screw up it will be your problem.. you could also shove cotton into the hole of the speaker and put a smal piece of duct tape over it also if you want, that should shut it up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The speaker doesn't have a hole - it's a solid piece with no access to the interior. Other than trying to rip it off, there's not much I can do to stop it from beeping, & again I don't want to mess up the other circuits on the touch-pad.

If you can't tell me which places to unsolder, you haven't solved my problem, Chas.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Then I will opt out and see if another expert know which wires need to be unsoldered.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, thanks for trying. One problem is that my parrot sits about 10 feet from the freezer, & when it goes into its beep mode, so does he!

I'll never deal with Sears again, believe me!

Ken

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Your unit was made by frigidaire for sears, sears makes nothing for this unit.....

P.s. I have a large Blue and Gold MaCaw that is noisey

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! The connections for the alarm are arrowed red. That being said, that board uses SMT components, Surface Mount Technology, and they are very susceptible to heat damage. If you are going to attempt to desolder the alarm, use a very high wattage (75 watts or more) so you get on and off the board in as short a time as possible! Just as an FYI, I would not recommend trying to modify that board. SMT boards are not service friendly without the proper equipment.

graphic

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Kelly, I'm very familiar with SMT as I used to run a department at Motorola. However, my question is WHICH of the SMT junctions need to be desoldered to disable the speaker.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Excellent, you should have no trouble! I arrowed the connections in my picture. Did you look at it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No, I missed your arrows - sorry. Okay, I'm going in to do the desoldering.

With any luck, the damn beeping will stop after 6 years!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Now what to do with the bird....Wink

Let me know how it goes!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!