Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

My Kenmore Elite smartheat QuietPak 9 is getting a little finicky.

My Kenmore Elite smartheat QuietPak 9 is getting a little finicky. The power button doesn't always turn the dryer on. But after a few minutes, when I try it again, the machine starts but the beeper button goes on for a few minutes. Today, the power button wouldn't work for over 1/2 and hour. It just went on and beeped for a few minutes. Help!

Jon :

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an appliance expert here and I can help you today.

Jon :

This sounds like a bad motor. After the dryer has been used for a while and is overheating, it will take some time before it cools down enough to start. and when it is isnt ready it will beep.

Jon :

when you are ready to go over a few things please get back to me here and I will have you look over a few things. then will be able to tell you with more certainty what exactly is wrong with it.

Jon :

Thanks and I look forward to helping you and help you fix this machine in the quickest and cheapest way possible.

I am back on. So do I need to have Sears repair to come out and replace motor?

Jon : Yes. That is the only part that would cause the problem.
Jon : How old is the dryer?
Jon : if older then a year then it will no be covered u set warranty.
Jon : Sorry. Meant under warranty.
Jon : I can get you part I to later tonight if you want?
Jon : And get you the authorized sears service number so you can call and schedule service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jon - I just did a load this morning and the dryer power button does go on. I know this time it is not because the dryer was over heated as you explained. So is it a bad motor that I need to have Sears repair come out and replace?

If this was the first load of the day in the morning you ran and it worked, then you have given the motor some time to cool down from doing laundry the previous day. That is why it may have started fine for you now. If you continue to do loads and the dryer doesnt start after a while then you know for sure it is a bad motor.

Now please also know that even if the motor is not over heating now, you could still have a bad motor. There is a centrifugal switch in side the motor that if damaged, from over heating previously, then it will give you the same problem.

Also keep in mind if the dryer starts while holding down the start switch that could indicate the switch inside the motor is bad as well.

So yes, I would definitely have the Sears guys take a look at this one.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more.

Please also remember to rate me positively now with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit from the website for helping you. And after you rate me positively I can continue helping you for no additional charge.

Thanks again.