Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My freezer is periodically (third time in 3 months) getting

My freezer is periodically (third time in 3 months) getting too cold and my fridge gets warm. The fridge also always drips water and collects it in the crisper bins. I took the back panel off and there is an ice blockage, in the past I've let that thaw and it works again, but how do I actually fix it?

back panel photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx07dphh6qalldt/Photo%20Aug%2003%2C%201%2050%2018%20PM.jpg

The model is a Whirlpool Gold.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this sounds like it's all related to the freezer drain line not draining properly which builds up ice and stops the air flow. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!