Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

When my dishwasher tries to fill with water, it leaks out the

When my dishwasher tries to fill with water, it leaks out the side housing, hits a metal plate and deflects the water into the drip pan which activates the float thus preventing the dishwasher from coming out of drain mode. I've taking the plastic housing which has a 1/4" hole(where the water leaks out of), and disconnected all of the hoses from it and the vent chamber as well and cleaned everything. I dried up the drain pan thus deactivated the float, started the dishwasher and it poured out the side hose chamber housing from that hole. Sorry I don't know the names of these parts. The drain hose is not clogged, the drain pump does work and is not clogged, and the water is not obstructed as described above. I found a video that shows exactly what is happening but does not say how to fix it. Thanks for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will assist you today

repairguy :

Can you please give the entire model number including the number after the /

Customer:

SHU 3336UC/14 There is a video on youtube which shows exactly what is going on. This is not a virus or spam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDGJ4MswuEs The video shows the problem but doesn't show how to fix. I hope this helps

repairguy :

I saw you tried to comment, but never recieved anything

repairguy :

Thank you just got it, water is coming out in the exact same way?

Customer:

SHU 3336UC/14

Customer:

Yes exactly the same. it hits the metal plate which is removed already in the video which then fills the tray and activates the float

repairguy :

give me one second

Customer:

no problem

Customer:

Well, hard to tell exactly but I think it does look like the picture.

repairguy :

I think part 35 is the part that should be leaking, there is no way to repair if it is only replace

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

it is leaking out of the vent hole. I guess I could replace the part and see if that works? I'll try to put duct tape over the hole and if that works then I'm not sure if a new unit would not have the vent hole plugged. hmmmm

repairguy :

if i am not mistaken, I believe the hole must be there, but there could be a piece inside there that is directing water the wrong way

Customer:

Here is another website that a person is discussing the same issue. It also shows a picture

Customer:

ok, I'll take it apart and check.

Customer:

If that fixes it, can I log back into this site to give you an excellent rating?

repairguy :

i just checked with the dishwasher tech, from my company, he said to take each hose off of that chamber blow through them, if any are obstructed you will see that, if the are not then you must replace the chamber

Customer:

got it.

Customer:

I will assume this is the fix.

Customer:

Thank you for all of your help. Hopefully I have success.

repairguy :

That is what he said, I dont think I have done this repair before, but he said he had, and this guy has the most first time repairs where I work

Customer:

Thanks again Repairguy. And thanks for helping the many people with appliance problems. What state/location do you work out of?

Customer:

Thanks again. Tom . Hicksville, NY (Long Island)

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.