Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 1992 Sharp R-9H3 convection microwave built into a

I have a 1992 Sharp R-9H3 convection microwave built into a cabinet in a house I bought a year ago. It gave up. Tech said magnetron failed because of "inadequate venting." I call BS because it should have failed a long time ago if the venting was bad. Who's right?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Are you able to open the control panel ? if you smell something electrical burning then it may just be your high voltage diode (very common and smells like a plastic burning smell) Diode THV512          Main Product Viewlook for this attached to the high voltage capacitor , see if it looks burned or melted. be extra careful and don't touch it the capacitor can store lethal amounts of voltage even when unplugged. if it looks bad call and tell the tech you talked to that its just the capacitor . now whether the diode for yours is available they would need to check. they only run around $12.00. hope this helps, thanks Bryan