Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool fridge, model #MFI2569YEM0. There is a build

I have a whirlpool fridge, model #MFI2569YEM0. There is a build up of ice on the bottom of the freezer. Every few days I find a puddle of water on the ground in front of the fridge. I chipped all the ice off and a week later it was back. How do I prevent this?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning. Whats going on with your refrigerator is a common issue. your defrost drain is frozen. to fix this you need to remove everything form the freezer and the remove the back panel. (inside the freezer) you will see silver evaporator coils. there will be a sheet of ice under them. Under that ice is a defrost drain. boil some water and pour it over the ice until it all melts and the water drains freely again. the water goes into a pan under the refrigerator where it evaporates. heres a link to a defrost drain strap you can order and install to fix the issue and preventing it from freezing again. Drain Strap 819043 Main Product ViewI hope this helps. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got the bottom drawer out of the freezer but I can't seem to remove the top wire drawer. I pulled 2 screws out of the front of the track that the wire drawer slides in but it still seems attached in the back. I can't see any screws and I can't shake it free.
I'm sorry I had to run out. is the wire basket your talking about number 8 on this diagram ?