Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a Samsung washer that does not drain completely

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number ? is this every load ? any error codes ?

Customer:

Hi Randy. It is the Samsung wf337aag. It does not happen on every load but more often than not (seems to be getting worse). I checked the hoses and the pump and they are all clear.

Randy 43 :

you took that pump out at the back ? all the fins were intact ? nothing floating around in there?

Randy 43 :

Drain Pump - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes everything was intact. Nothing floating around.

Randy 43 :

i have run across a few machines that wouldnt drain and it turned out to be the main board, the board sends power to the drain pump, on that model 90% of draining issues are with the pump or something blocking the impeller from turning or the drain pump overheating after a few drains then stopping, if the impeller is ok ,nothing blocking the pump ,squeezing the tub to pump hose to make sure there is not a cloth of some sort in there? and the plug in connection to the pump is secure ,if all ok,then i would suspect the main board

Randy 43 :

Main Control Board - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Main Control Board

RepairClinic Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Power control board

Manufacturer Number MFS-WF327L-T0

More

$158.65

Quantity:

Customer:

That's what I suspected. I got a diagnostic code of 'OE' from the service mode. Also, there is a second circuit board at the back right of this machine, could this be implicated?

Randy 43 :

OE is a long drain error , definately nothing in there? does the impeller sound louder than normal . maybe stripped? it wouldnt be that other board in my experience

Customer:

It does get loud when its pumping out water--probably louder than when it was new (5 yrs old now).

Randy 43 :

that impeller may be getting stripped and overheating and not pushing the water out as efficiently . if you are able to catch it as it is acting up and confirm it is getting power then the pump is bad , maybe try filling and putting into a drain cycle 3 -4 times in a row see if pump overheats , if it gets loud that may be a worn out pump

Customer:

ok will give that a shot. The pump is getting some power because it drains partially, but doesn't drain all the way--leaves some water in the bottom of the tub. So I will listen for it getting louder and possibly overheating. Should I take the back cover off and touch it to check?

Randy 43 :

you can do that if you wish , but if you are sure it is always getting power but not draining., then that would eliminate the board as the issue , the board sends power to the drain pump ,the pump should do the rest unless it stops and overheats or is blocked

Customer:

Ok. One last question--could it be that the board is not reading the water level sensor properly and is therefore shutting down the pump prematurely? This would be consistent with the 'OE' code I pulled.

Randy 43 :

yes that is possible but usually the water drains out ok and it keeps draining longer and longer and not sensing bringing up the code , but if there is physically water left in the tub then i wouldnt think that would be the case

Randy 43 :

you can check the small rubber hose off the pressure sensor , blow thru it and make sure it is clear

Customer:

Ok will start with the pump and see how that goes. Thanks a lot.

Randy 43 :

sure , good luck ,any more questions let me know