Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

It is the control panel on my dishwasher that needs to be replaced.

It is the control panel on my dishwasher that needs to be replaced. That means the panel lights don't come on. So, how do I tell if I have turned off the correct circuit breaker for the dishwasher.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..so you dont have any volt pen or glow pen that detects voltage? you can shut the main breaker off if you dont mind reset all your clocks and saving your computer work first ,and doing it with a flashlight , or using a hard plastic small pry tool . it wont conduct electricity if it is plastic .

Customer:

I do havea multimeter. I touched the red wire to the back of one of the thermostat conections after I thought I had turned off the breaker. I still have it registering

Customer:

what do I touch to verify it is not getting electricity

Randy 43 :

at the junction box on the bottom of the DW behind the kickplate , if you stick the meter leads on the white and black wires and get 120 volts the breaker is on still , when you get 0 volts between those 2 it is off

Randy 43 :

its a little silver box

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX mean front bottom kick plate? I will try that. if that doesn't do it , I will just turn of main breaker.

Randy 43 :

or one wire lead onto one of the thermostat wires and the other to a ground screw ,should read 0 volts ,then the other thermostat wire to ground should also be 0 volts

Randy 43 :

yes the front kick plate ,remove that there will be a little box where the wires join up

Randy 43 :

black is the line voltage but some electricians mix the white and black

Randy 43 :

so if you get 0 volts between white and black it is off

Customer:

ground screw can be any screw on the dw or a specific one

Customer:

yes, also the wires inside the dw are not black/red like the multimeter. they are black/blackwhite

Randy 43 :

a good ground into the chassis of the dw , not a screw into the plastic control panel for example , ground screws are green

Customer:

yes, I did see a green ground wire

Randy 43 :

but in the junction box they should be black white and a ground , it may be easier just to go down there

Customer:

will do that first. thanks for your help. worth the $

Randy 43 :

ok , well let me know if you have any problems , thx good luck