Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.

Problem with GE Side by Side Refrigerator/Freezer (Model PSI23SGMD).

Problem with GE Side by Side Refrigerator/Freezer (Model PSI23SGMD). Freezer is too warm. Maybe fridge too. Ice in freezer is melting. When both doors closed, can hear fan running. Fan stops when fridge door opens (as it normally does). Need to determine why freezer is not holding temp. How can I diagnose the problem? What part needs to be replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will try to assist you tonight

repairguy :

When you open the freezer door, please look at the lower panel and tell me if it has ice on it or not

repairguy :

If you do not see the ice, that is ok, I will need you to remove the panel it should consist of 4 5/16 screws

repairguy :

Once the panel is removed please tell me what you see

Customer:

Hello Rick. I opened the freezer door. Looking for a panel. Is this a white metal panel behind the ice tray? Or lower near the bottom of the freezer?

repairguy :

Near the bottom, where the baskets sit

repairguy :

Anything

Customer:

No ice there. How do I remove the panel?

repairguy :

Do you see the 4 screws?

Customer:

It's a plastic panel with a bend in it, right?

repairguy :

There is a cover, it is for air flow, and then you will see four screws in the corners of the panel, once those are removed you will see the evaporator. Please tell me when you are this far

Customer:

How do I remove the cover to see the screws?

Customer:

I imagine there are plastic tabs to press so I don't break it.

repairguy :

The bottom cover just lifts up

Customer:

OK, hold a sec

repairguy :

No I can send you a picture of the parts breakdown. There should just be 4 screws in the corners

Customer:

so are you talking about removing part 213?

repairguy :

yes

Customer:

Trying to get 161 off of 168. I should have it in a min or two.

repairguy :

That piece should just lift up and off, it kind of clips to the vent are of the other part

Customer:

I have the panel removed. I see the evaporator. No ice back there. Dry.

repairguy :

you dont see any frost or anything huh.

repairguy :

Is the compressor running?

Customer:

No, no frost either?

repairguy :

Do you know where the compressor is?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

I can't tell. Something kicked on once I had the freezer door open for a while?

repairguy :

you will need to pull the unit out away fromthe wall, there is a cover near the bottom, remove that please

repairguy :

I will wait

Customer:

OK. I see this is part 725 here: http://www.automaticappliance.com/lookup/181756/1302337

repairguy :

yes that is it, we need to see if it is running or not

Customer:

The compressor does not seem to be running. Can't hear it and not vibrating. The condenser fan is running. Going to open the doors for a minute to see if compressor kicks on.

Customer:

The compressor is not kicking on.

Customer:

With the fridge and freezer doors open.

repairguy :

Ok here is what I want you to do, unplug the refrigerator for 3 minutes and plug back in, listen real close to see if you hear the compressor try to kick in. if it does and the compressor does not run you may hear a click, I need to know if you hear that of not

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

The compressor did make a click, but did not come on.

repairguy :

is the compressor warm

repairguy :

to the touch

Customer:

no, cold

repairguy :

you have a bad control board, it is part 801. If you want you can remove it, most of the time you will find the burnt mark on the board. You need to replace this board and your unit will run cold again.

repairguy :

I have located the part at a cheaper price for you, also the website I am sending the link for will allow you to return any part you buy from them if it does not work for any reason

repairguy :

CLICK HERE

repairguy :

Please dont forget to rate my answers before you leave

Customer:

OK. I'll look for the burnt mark. Thank you very much.

repairguy :

No problem, This will fix your refrigerator.

Customer:

Thanks again. Excellent service!

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.