Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

This is about a Maytag MDE4658AYW dryer that is not heating.

This is about a Maytag MDE4658AYW dryer that is not heating. It looks as if the exhaust tube became very clogged and that one of the elements that controls heating failed...We ran the dryer without an exhaust tube/hose and the air flowed freely, the tub turned well, but the heat failed to arise. We tested 4 elements and only one failed the conductivity test: the heating element. I did all these steps from the front of the machine, the top and front are removed but how do I get to that element to remove it?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

I believe this is your heating element. Heating Element 37001139        Main Product ViewSo you opened the top and took the front panel number 26 off also? the heating element is in the back left corner in this, its number 5 on this diagram. now if you have the front off the next step is to take the drum out to give you better access to the heater. reach in and release the belt. pull the pulley back and release the belt from the pulley. then comes the fun part. remove number 6 on this diagram and disconnect the door switch.then place that aside. once that done you can pull the drum out and the heating element will be in the right back corner. I hope this helps. thanks Bryan