Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

replace igniter, still bake and broil would not lite. dont

replace igniter, still bake and broil would not lite. don't think power goes to the igniter for tappan gas stove
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..does the ignitor glow ? do you have a model number?

Customer:

model # XXXXX

Randy 43 :

no glow on either ignitor ? bake or broil ?

Customer:

No igniter does not glow. when I touch the bake or broil buttons nothing happens. I put power separately to the igniter and it glows

Customer:

no.

Randy 43 :

do you have any way of checking for power? meter or volt pen?

Customer:

yes, I have a multi tester. I check power to the board. 121 volts

Randy 43 :

if you unplug the ignitor quick connect plug and put the meter leads into the other end of the quick connect plug and push bake do you get any power 120 volts ?

Randy 43 :

also the wires to the gas valve are all connected , no loose connections ?

Randy 43 :

Oven Safety Valve - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Customer:

I check that. no power. when I press the bake button it stays on for 4 seconds. 3 green lights comes on and goes off after 4 seconds so I cant get a reading at the plug. the broil switch comes on for 3 seconds with 2 green lights then goes off

Randy 43 :

looks like your clock is bad , when you press the function the relay should be on constanly supplying 120 volts to whichever function you choose .bake or broil..if it shuts off then the board is bad .as long as the valve wires are ok and completing the circuit

Randy 43 :

Oven Control BoardNNN-NN-NNNNAlternate Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 : Oven Control BoardNNN-NN-NNNN

RepairClinic Item #1197179 (OEM Part)

$92.05

Electronic oven control

Manufacturer NumberNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

More
Customer:

I taught so but I want to be sure before I purchase it and that's not the problem. I already replaced the igniter. is that the best price

Randy 43 :

$92 ,is a pretty good price , you can check other online places but they will probably be around the same range

Randy 43 :

or your local parts store can get it for you

Customer:

can I order it now. do you supply parts

Randy 43 :

we are not the site ,if you want to order from them you can go to repairclinic.com and order it right away or if you want to look around first , up to you

Customer:

ok. will do. thanks

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

spoke with tech randy last night about bake and broil not lighting. he suggested to change the control board which I did but the results are exactly the same. the oven would not light. 3 green lights come on for 4 seconds then go off. nothing changes. please advise

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
you got the clock that quick? your readings must be off or you have a broken or shorted wire from the clock to the ignitors , if you have 120 volts to the board and you apply power to the ignitors directly and they work , then there is something wrong from the clock down to the ignitors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I went to Sears and pick up one. I check the wiring for continuity, that was ok. what do you mean the readings must be off. how can I check that OR CORRECT THAT

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
it doesnt make sense , if you have 120 volts going to the clock and you have a new clock ,if you press the bake function you should have 120 volts to the ignitor and get it to glow , unless the wire is shorted or broken somewhere ,unless you dont have 120 volts to the clock ? did you check between line and neutral ? not line to ground ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

rechecking the wires and voltage will get back to you soon

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
check the valve connections as well if you didnt already ,thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the wiring to the igniter from the clock its ok. I also connected the igniter directly from the clock. It didn't work. I checked the voltage from the clock when I pressed the the bake and broil buttons but I got no readings. It only comes on for 4 seconds then go out.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
is there continuity thru the gas valve ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I just checked that and tried again. Same results. It is not holding when I pressed the bake or broil buttons only 4 or 5 seconds. I am an an electrician so I have an idea with appliances now I don't know what else to do

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
can i have the model number again , let me check if i can see a diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model# TGF336AWE . I have a diagram and double check the wiring. I checked the safety valve for continuity.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
what about the harness that plugs onto the clock ,all the pins look ok ? what if you jiggle that after pressing bake see if you can get it to stay on ? it looks like a pretty basic system , there must be a bad connection somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I clean the contacts jiggle it pressed the bake switch hold it and the temperature up button and a reading of 350 degrees came on, th the igniter light and the oven came on. Tried it a few times more and it seems to be working. Thanks again for your help

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You've been a great help.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
its a relief to figure that one out