Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

have vgcc5486gss oven doesnt turn on

Customer Question

have vgcc5486gss oven doesn't turn on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can help you today. If you still need it? I just logged into the website now and saw you question. I apologize for the delay. Usually it doesn't take that long to get a response or answer.
Jon : If it is just the bake element not coming on we can check the power to the element with an ac volt meter to see if it is getting full voltage. If it is and the bake still doesn't come on then you need to replace the bake element. If there is no voltage to the element during a bake cycle then you will need to check and or replace the hi limiter or cut out thermostat or main computer.
Jon : Now if you don't have a meter or if this is a gas range, I haven't checked your model yet, then please get back to me here and we will go over a few more checks.
Jon : And I will also get you part info so you can order the parts online.
Jon : Please get back to me here and I will help you more.
Customer: No gas or igniter comes on
Jon :

Do you here the clicking of the oven igniter or see the glow of the glow bar igniter at all when you set it to a bake cycle?

Customer: No clicking
Jon :

When setting the larger oven to a bake cycle and letting it come on, bend down almost to the floor and look behind the front kick plate of the oven. The kick plate in the lower front of the machine will have a bunch of slots on it. Look inside there and tell me if you see the igniters glowing at all or if you hear them ticking?

Jon :

Ok. thank you. No ticking. not good.

Jon :

Do you see them glowing at all?

Customer: No
Jon :

The model info for your model range doesnt tell me if the larger and smaller oven are glow bar igniters or if they are electrodes. When you oven used to work, do you remember if it would click then ignite the oven or would it just come on?

Customer: Click did some research heard it could be the spark module
Jon :

ok so lets take a look first. do you have some basic tools and some handy skills?

Customer: Yea
Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

first lets get a philips head screwdriver and remove the two screws to the lower kick plate grill in the front of the machine.

Customer: It's off already also bottom pan in oven
Jon :

If you get down on the floor and look to the left and right side of the grill you will see one screw on either side holding the grill in place. but the screw is on the inside of the grill, not on the outside of the machine. if you notice the gap or space between the bottom of the door and the top of the grill/ kick plate, that is where the screw will be. take a look now and tell me if you see it?

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

with that kickplate off doe you see one wire going to the electrode or multiple wires going to a glow bar style igniter?

Customer: Single wire
Customer: Heard it has separate spark module
Jon :

ok. good. do you have an ac volt meter to do some tests with as well?

Jon :

yes. there are a few spark modules in this machine. there are two for the top surface burners and grill and one for the ovens. and even on some models there is a seperate computer that controls everything.

Jon :

if you have a meter we will test to see if the igniter are getting voltage. then we can tell if you need the spark module, which is called a reignition module, or if it is the electrode.

Customer: No readings did that already
Jon :

ok. how did you check if you dont mind me asking? did you pull the wire off the electrode and then put your lead to the wire of the electrode then put the range on a bake cycle? if yes, and then you had no voltage then you need the spark module.

Jon :

are you still with me? how did you check the electrode? if you are positive you checked it right and still no power to the electrode, then you will need to replace the spark module.

Jon :

let me get the part info for you now. be right back.

Jon :

do the cooktop burners work?

Jon :

are you still with me?

Customer: Cook top burners work amp meter
Jon :

ok. great thanks. so you checked with an amp meter? so you just clamped the meter over the wire and checked the power to the electrode wire that way? just want to be sure you checked it correctly? but if there was no sparking or clicking at all of the electrode then the board is most likely at fault with your machine. and in your model machine there is a main power board. and that is what gives power to the oven electrode. it is behind the front grill where the knobs are.

Jon :

does the smaller oven work? and does the broil in the larger work? if no to both, and you dont have power to either oven then you may have a limiter out. especially if the oven functions have stopped working after running a self clean cycle or if you had a power surge lately.

Jon :

have you run a self clean cycle recently?

Customer: I tried that one on the other side of the oven and it started the small one
Jon :

so the smaller oven works fine?

Customer: No self clean on it just no power to the big oven everything else on the range works
Jon :

ok. so then it is definitely the board.

Jon :

the bake function on the board, or the bake relay is shorting out. and the board needs to be replaced.

Jon :

let me get you the part number so you can order it.

Customer: I tried it on the small oven the board and it worked so they told me its the spark module
Jon :

you tried what on the small oven?

Jon :

you tried swapping the main boards?

Customer: The board the one attached to the knob assembly
Jon :

who is they? and i dont think they know the model range you have. your range has seperate spark modules for the cooktop surface burners and a spark board or what is called a dsi board or main board that controls the oven function.

Customer: Local shop
Jon :

ok so the blue style board or switch or module that controls the oven you have swapped with the smaller oven and it works fine? if so then we know for sure the electorde is bad.

Jon :

that is why i wanted to make sure that you checked the power from the wire correctly.

Jon :

you cant have a good board and not have power to the wire or electrode. it is one or the other.

Jon :

have you tried swapping the electrode from the larger oven with the smaller oven yet? if not, i think you need to do that first. this will tell us for sure if the electrode is bad or not. and i believe you have a bad electrode. especially if you are telling me correctly that you swapped the boards, the one for the large oven that was not working with the smaller one, and the smaller oven works fine with the board from the larger.

Jon :

do you follow me?

Customer: Ok cause they told me its the board then the spark module so that's why I was asking if board is good then spark module might be the problem..
Jon :

simply change the electrode from the smaller oven with the larger and keep the boards the way they are now. and if the larger oven works with the electrode from the smaller oven, then you know for sure you have a bad electrode.

Jon :

do you have the front control panel off your range right now?

Customer: I tried it as well nothing
Jon :

ok. then here is what i want you to do. follow my steps exactly.

Customer: Ok
Jon :

take your meter out. and remove the wire going to the electrode of the larger oven. then put one lead of your meter on the wire from the electrode from the larger oven and the other lead from the meter touching the metal frame of the oven. then put the larger oven on a bake cycle. and make sure your meter is on ac voltage. you should have 110 volts. if you dont then you have a bad spark module.

Jon :

do that for me know please. and tell me what you get? if no voltage, change the spark module to the larger oven. if voltage, then change the electrode.

Customer: Damn nothing
Jon :

then you know you have a bad spark module.

Jon :

here is the part info you need to order the part.

Customer: U have the part number electrode and spark module might as well get both
Jon :

single spark module for the oven is part number PA020058. should cost about $50.

Jon :

part number for the electrode is PB040170. should cost about $30.

Jon :

you can get parts from either www.applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com or www.allvikingparts.com. you can even call it in as well. their number is XXXXX just use the part numbers i gave you above.

Jon :

if you like i'll send you the link and you can go right to it from here?

Customer: Ok see what happens will get back to you send me the link
Jon :

Click the image above for parts link. it will take you right to the parts page. just enter the part number for the module in the parts search bar to the left for the spark module.

Jon :

here is the link for the spark module.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if the parts links dont work for you and i'll send it again.

Jon :

and please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions.,

Jon :

and if you have more questions even after rating me positively please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks. and please let me know how you do.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Walter,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Should you have any other questions please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know how you do.

Thanks again.