Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

gas dryer wont heat , how to relight kenmore 110 700 96990

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you don't actually relight this dryer. It has an automatic ignition system. If the dryer isn't heating, you need to remove the lower front panel and see if the igniter glows on and off when it should be heating. To remove the lower front panel, use a putty knife and there are 2 metal spring clips hidden in the seam between the upper front panel and the lower front panel. Slide the putty knife over top of these clips and pry down to release the lower panel. Then the lower panel will hinge forward and down. Start the dryer and does the igniter glow on and off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Iremoved panel , &restarted Dryer, dont see ignighter light ,i see valve on r side

OK so if you don't see the igniter glowing, you most likely have a bad igniter or a bad fuse. The fuse is more likely and it's the white plastic device mounted to the top of the blower wheel housing in the front left corner behind the lint filter enclosure. It has 2 blue wires going to it. If you have a multimeter, test continuity and if it's open, replace it. If it tests good, then test power to the 2 wires that go to the igniter when it should heating. If you're getting 120 volts between the two wires and the igniter won't turn on, replace the igniter because it's bad.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dont see fuse housing ,do you have to remove lint cover housing?

If you remove it, that would definitely give you clear access to it, so if you don't see it then I would just remove it because it's tucked in behind that lint filter housing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i dont feel good about going any further...mike

That is completely up to you, but it is possible to access it without removing anything else. It's a tight fit, but this is how we technicians access it to avoid having to disassemble more stuff.