Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a ge fridge model gfss6kkycss. The flapper in the ice/water

I have a ge fridge model gfss6kkycss. The flapper in the ice/water dispenser is not closing after dispensing. I would like to remove the panel to see if it is simply a spring (since the flapper moves, just won't close). I only see one screw underneath the buttons and am not sure if the panel cover pops off with a putty knife and don't want to force it. how does the cover come off on that model?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GE Model 26

Model # XXXXX

Bottom freezer with French doors

okay there are two push in clips on the right side of the dispenser you need to push in to get the control off. there are about 1 inch down on the side and 1 inch up from the bottom heres the back side view and the clips are on the left in this picture,heres the front view. from the front their on the right side. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So that should pop off the whole cover? I need to find something thin enough to fit in the narrow slot

yes pop the Dispenser Façade off, the best thing to use is a thin putty knife.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

k. thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. In looking at pics you sent the face looks different. Mine has no Reset Filter, Turbo Freeze, Turbo cool. Anyway I tried popping with putty knife and can't seem to pop it right. Probably need to have someone come out. Thanks for your help.

okay well the facade may look different some have extra functions but it still comes outthe same but if your afraid of breaking it maybe your better off having someone out, thanks and best wishes, Bryan