Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dear Sirs, I have a kenmore self cleaning electric over, and

Dear Sirs, I have a kenmore self cleaning electric over, and the self cleaning cycle accidently got turned on, and I can't get it to reset and get the door unlocked. I tried holding the stop button for 3 seconds and that did not work. I then tried holding the light button for 3 seconds and that did not work. It was about to heat the house up, so I just turned off the breaker. i thought that would reset it, but it did not? please advise? Thanks. Pat
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed.  Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset.  When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly.  If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly.  It's not easy to manually unlock the door.  You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top.  Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I set the self clean, and how do I cancel it? Also, wouldn'lt I need a model number to know what door latch to order. How do i get the model number or serial number? Thanks

You do need a model number to order a new latch, and for that you'd need to manually open the door so that you can see the model on a sticker around the frame of the oven.

As far as turning on self clean and canceling it, you just turn it on like you normally would if the oven will allow you to do that. Then wait 60 seconds and just press the cancel button and that will cancel the self clean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to look at the front to see a latch to pull from right to left, and could not see the latch. Also, I held the light switch down for 3 seconds, then held the stop/cancel switch down for 3 seconds, and the display flashed "F 10 error, and then F 30 error? Don't know what that means. I tried what you said about turning on breaker and pushing on the front door, and nothing happened. Nothing is working?

OK perfect, so those error codes actually mean something. They mean that your oven sensor has shorted or at least the oven thinks the oven sensor has shorted. You'll need to pull the oven forward and remove the back panel on the oven. Unplug the oven. Locate the wires going to the oven sensor and unclip them. Test resistance through the 2 wires going to the sensor and you should have 1080 ohms at room temperature or so. If not, that sensor needs to be replaced. Otherwise you need to replace the display control board because it's not releasing the sensor properly. Now if you can't manually unlock the latch yourself, you'll need to order a sensor and plug the new one in (or the board if the sensor tests good) and that will allow the door to unlock so that you can install the sensor properly inside the oven.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really appreciate your help and suggestions, and I know you tried your best. At this point, since the oven is a number of years old, I think it would be more cost efficient just to get a new one. I will give you a good rating. Thanks. Pat

Alright, no problem and I'm really sorry to hear about your oven problems today.