Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE JS968 range will not hold temp in convection mode.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it heats normally in bake and broil but just won't heat in convection? Is it heating at all? Is this a gas or electric oven?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an electric range. It heats to the proper temp and then the temp slowly goes down. It works ok in normal bake. If I set the convection back option to the desired temp it will heat up. After several minutes I select normal bake and the temp is low and will heat up and hold the temp in normal

OK so it sounds like your convection element has likely failed or you have a bad control board. During preheat, the oven uses all the element to heat the oven up quicker, but after it reaches the set temperature, it only uses the convection element which is the round element which surrounds the convection fan at the back of your oven. You'll need to unplug the unit and remove the back panel inside your oven. Remove the bake element and use a multimeter to test for resistance through the element. You should have between 10 and 50 ohms and if not, replace the element. If it checks good, you'll need a new control board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where is the control board? In the front under the glass front panel?

Yes, it's the same as the display on your oven.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you.

No problem and good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The heating element checked 26 ohms. I ordered a control unit and it did not fix the problem. The convection fan cycles and is not supposed to. I'll try that next. I sent the control unit back.