Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore upright freezer. Model numberNNN-NN-NNNN

I have a Kenmore upright freezer. Model numberNNN-NN-NNNN It has stopped freezing. Power is on. Lights work. Low temp alarm light is flashing. The food is getting soft. I am an electrician, so I have checked for power . There is 120 v at the circuit board, but no power being sent to the compressor
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the fan inside the freezer running or is everything 100% silent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything is silent

OK perfect. Did you get the model with the digital display or do you have a turn dial knob to adjust the temperature?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turn dial knob

OK so it sounds like the thermostat behind that turn dial know has failed. You'll need to remove the back panel inside the freezer to access the part and unplug the freezer. Now if you have a multimeter, test continuity through the 2 terminals on the thermostat and it should be closed. If not, then it's bad. If you don't have a multimeter, disconnect the 2 wires going to the thermostat and put a jumper wire between the two wires. Plug the refrigerator back in and if it starts to work, then you need a new thermostat.

Now if for some reason the thermostat checks good, that means you definitely have a bad defrost timer stuck in defrost so the defrost timer would need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!