Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We have a Gaggenau oven BO-250 611 that started to generate

We have a Gaggenau oven BO-250 611 that started to generate error code E118 after being on for a short time. The local repair shop and online information indicated either the cooling fan or the temperature control board. We have replaced both items at considerable expense but with no effect on the E118 problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! The E118 error means the main control and the display board are unable to "talk" to one another. This is usually caused by a poor or faulty connection. With the power off to the oven, remove the connector on the control from the display board and make sure they are clean and reinsert the connector. Any change in the behavior?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

re-seated both ends of the connection from the display board to the temperature control board. No change in behavior. When you first turn on the oven the fan comes on full speed until the E118 appears and then everything stops. To restart the oven we turn the oven to off and then back on (without opening door) and the oven will operate ok. However when you open the door then you have to go through the whole cycle of E118, turn off, turn on, and it will then resume operating.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
What board did you replace?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

temperature control board (with relays) part #664150

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
That part number is XXXXX coming up. When you turn the oven off and then back on, it is resetting the program, so it almost has to be a board issue. The only board I can find is the one pictured below.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

That is not the circuit board I replaced. I have a picture of the board if you can accept a jpg file. The temp control board is 10.5 x 5.5 inches and has 16 or 17 solid state relays and about that many connectors (including the cable from the display. The board you show looks to me to be a power supply of some sort.

Also, I did a continuity check on the cable that goes from the temp control board to the display. It checked good.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
If you are certain that it is the main control you replaced, I suspect the interface board is what is causing the issue. That would explain why the stopping of the program and restart makes it work. I suspect that board will need to be replaced. Can you double check the model number on that oven, please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The model plate on the side of the oven says:

E-Nr. BO 250611 /6 FD8909 000003

What is the 'interface' board? Is that the circuit board(s) on the display?

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Yes, that is the board with the display on it. That board is the controller for the main board. If the main board was replaced and the cable has been tested as good, that only leaves the display board.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I suspect you are right. There is nothing else left to replace. Thanks for clarifying what the E118 error means.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!