Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The water will not turn off when it reaches the level sele

The water will not turn off when it reaches the level selected
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? ANd are you saying that the washer will overfill and flood? Can you stop the water by turning the washer off or must you turn the valves off behind the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a Performa, about 14 years olf. The water will shut off by pushing the knob in.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So you don't have a bad water valve that is sticking open if it's shutting off when you push the knob in. That means you have a bad water pressure switch, or possibly the hose between the water pressure switch and the bottom of the tub has come disconnected. You'll want to remove the screws going into the back panel and remove the back panel. Check the device with the small rubber hose going to it inside the control panel. Disconnect the hose and blow through it to make sure it's clear. If it's clear, then remove the front panel of the washer to make sure the other end of the hose is connected to the tub still. If that looks good, then you need to replace the water pressure switch.

To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel.  These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel.  If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws going into the front panel from inside the washer. Remove these screws and the front panel should pull off to inspect the hose.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you-I will get back to you if necessary.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a diagram to locate this small rubber hose that goes to the control panel?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not one that would help I'm afraid. There is only 1 rubber hose inside the control panel. It's either clear or black in color so you can't miss it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Inside the lower back panel is a black rubber hose that I would estimate to be around 3" in diameter, it is approx. 6" long, is that the one you are referring to?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, it's inside the control panel. Not the lower back panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK-I will take off the top back panel to check there-Thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found it-the hose has had visitors in the form of small rodent variety. Thank you so much?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ah. I'm glad you were able to locate the problem so it should be fairly easy to fix at this point I would imagine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thank you-now on to your next female non-expert doing home repair.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hah. You have a great rest of the day!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.