Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi we have an old 2005 Roper refrigerator model RT18DKXKQ08

Customer Question

Hi we have an old 2005 Roper refrigerator model RT18DKXKQ08 that constantly has a large amount of condensation building up, how can I fix this? Do I need to recharge the system?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you explain what you mean by the condensation that you are seeing? Also, where is the condensation located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water build up in the bottom of the refrigerator area and at times it looks like the freezer are thawed then froze again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, thank you. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

had to leave earlier - wanted to say I've defrosted the refrigerator 2-3 times and this continues to happen, will this part fix the problem or could there be something else causing the problem?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The part should definitely fix the problem if it continues to clog up and you're sure that you blue the drain line clear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the drain line seems to be clear, I was able to flush it with hot water although a I couldn't get a small wire to run from top to bottom almost like there was a curve in the tube.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, there is a curve. No need to run a wire from top to bottom. But if it flushes through then that's good. Just install the heat probe and that should stop the problem from coming back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got it - thanks for your help, part is ordered!!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all. Good luck!