Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GSS25KGTA WW (serial #GL464785) runs excessively, up to

My GSS25KGTA WW (serial #GL464785) runs excessively, up to 20 minutes in an hour or so, and gets louder as it nears shutting off. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you open the freezer and look on the back wall and tell me if theres any frost on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there has always been a light coating almost from day one.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay and the sound you hear getting louder does it sound like a fan maybe hitting something ? like frost. Can you remove that panel and see what the frost pattern looks like on the coils ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the fan, compressor sounds like its cavitating and groaning as it goes through the cycle. What fins behind what panel should I inspect for a frost pattern. It's basically a light coating on packages in the freezer...only a light haze on the sidewalks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay so its frost on the food , thats an indication theres an air leak and its letting warm moist air in from you house, that would explain the long run time if its drawing in warm air, check your gaskets and the ice chute real good. see if the gaskets are sealing tight all the way around and that your ice chute is closed tightly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Door seems to seal well all around...as does ice chute...though black mold is difficult to remove/eliminate. I found the part the tech replaced a few years ago...wr55x10270...board for ice dispenser. I have a Coleman cooler that holds ice for five days!!!!...what gives here?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well if this isn't holding the temp it can be a number of things, Not defrosting correctly is one but you say theres no real frost on the back panel inside the freezer so that doesn't sound like thats it. is it possible for you to remove the panel inside the freezer behind you food? do you have tools for that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have the tools. Before I empty the freezer is it a panel under or behind the light, the vented panel at the bottom, or the entire back panel. The freezer is cold enough at -1or 2 degrees, fridge set at 34. Can't believe it won't hold temp for more than an hour. Is there a set temperature differential I should look for between cycles?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes just the lower panel with the vented bottom. I need you to take a look at the frost pattern on the silver coils, are they lightly frost ? on all the coils ? or are some at the bottom or top frosted and not the rest ? also let me know if their heavily frosted. Like really thick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...that was fun...one way to clean out the freezer I guess. Anyway, virtually no frost on the "fuzzy" coils, but a light frost down the right side of the coils which was quickly melting once the panel was off and the door opened. Also, the vents in the back are kept clear of plastic bags, etc.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats not a good sign, if there was only frost down the side of the coils it means theres a freon leak and its low, all the coils should be frosted. can you let that run for another hour and check them again ? this might have just come out of a defrost cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before i unload the freezer again, be aware that this problem has been going on for quite a while now, like a couple of years, just been dealing with the issue till now as the unit has been keeping temp steady. if there was a freon leak, wouldn't it be totally discharged by now and not keeping temp, even if it ran continuously?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well theres no way of knowing if this leaked freon recently. you would need to check the frost pattern It could also be a clog in the sealed system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry,I was away for a few days, checked the coils again, same situation. By the way, the coils are not smooth, shiny aluminum, they are covered with a short tinsel like metallic bristle, like Christmas garland. At this point it does not appear that this is a problem that I can resolve. Can we schedule a service call through this site or do I have to make a separate call? Also, does the $38 fee still stand or is that refunded as the problem still exists?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the freon or the sealed system is most likely the issue and you would need a tech for that. unfortunately you would have to make the call as to who you want to work on that.as far as the charge for this I can put in for a refund for you even though it wasn't my fault that this is something you cant fix yourself, It looks like I will take a loss on this one.I will put in for a refund for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey boss, didn't realize it worked like that. Totally satisfied with your efforts, sometimes the magic does't work via Internet. I would never take food off your table, please forget about the refund. I'll gett hold of the local G.E.tech. Thanks for your efforts. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'm sorry it ended up being such a major issue, Sometimes you just cant fix some things yourself. I wish It was an easy fix, have a great day and thank you again, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.