Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

washer starts, adds water and then just goes off. Whats

Customer Question

washer starts, adds water and then just goes off.
What's wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? And if you press start again, will it eventually finish the cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model number is mah4000aww

No, it does not finish cycle

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK can you time how long it fills for please? Does it take 5 minutes? If so, open the door any how high is the water compared to the bottom of the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't know how long it took, maybe 5 min.

Water is about 2" deep in drum

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK well the washer is designed to stop if it doesn't fill up to the correct water level within 5 minutes in case it's overfilling. It doesn't want to flood your house. If it's only 2 inches deep and it fills for 5 minutes, you have a water fill problem. Start by removing the washer fill hoses; both the cold and the hot water hoses. Check for proper water pressure from the house. To do so, turn the water on and put the hose inside the washer or a bucket.

If water pressure is good, check the water valve inlet screens. Most residential washing machines have inlet screens. The screens prevent minerals from clogging the solenoid. With the hoses removed, you can visually inspect the water inlet screens. If the water valve screens are clear the inlet valve with the screens itself will need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

screens are clean water pressure is ok.

on re-start water goes for about 60 sec. then gentle spool-up noise starts for about 5 sec as if it were going to go ahead, but noise abruptly shuts off and on light goes off.

Washer was just moved and re-installed.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so if it only runs for 60 seconds and shuts off and not 5 minutes, then you have a problem with the motor control board. Pull the washer forward and remove the back access panel. Make sure the belt is connected and if not, re-attach it. Now if the belt looks good, you'll need to remove the front panel and make sure the wire connections to the motor control board are secure. If everything looks good, then you need to replace your motor control kit because it failed when moving the machine. The motor control is mounted to the floor below the tub and below is a link to the kit you need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for kit

To remove the front panel, just open the door and remove the 2 screws going in through the door hinge into the front panel. Remove the 2 screws on the opposite side of the door way and the front panel will unclip at the top and fold forward and down for replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

spoke to maytag and movers.

apparently before moving these things there are immobilizing pins that need to be put in, and the movers likely did not do this since drum turns easily by hand.

Also, when I move the dial around it will pump out, or fill in but it will not agitate nor will it spin.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so it sounds like you need to check the motor control board and if the wires look secure, replace the motor control kit.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?