Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

REPLACE HANDLE

REPLACE HANDLE
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pvm1790sr1ss

ge microwave

Perfect, thank you. To access the door handle screws, you need to remove the "choke" around the inner door. Open the door and locate the plastic seal that goes all the way around the inner door. This is the "choke" and it's clipped in on both the inside and the outside, all the way around the door. You will need to use a small putty knife or a small flat head screw driver and pry under the choke all the way around to unclip it. Once you have the part removed, you should be able to see and access the 2 screws going into the door handle you need to remove. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to take your door apart so you can replace your handle.

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not the he same door I have clips that hold the chrome front to the

inside of the door

It comes apart the EXACT same way as the video
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

removed choke can not get to screws

So after you remove the choke, you need to unclip the metal frame from the front door skin. This part is difficult, but it comes off the same way that the choke did. Then you have access to the screws.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no clips

There are. Just like you though there were metal clips and there weren't, I am definitely giving you the correct advise. If you can't remove it yourself, you'll need to call a technician out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the chrome face is held on by the metal clips . second part was a little harder then the choke. job is all done! and no broken parts

thanks

Awesome, glad you got it all taken apart. I did mention that unclipping the metal frame from the front face is more difficult than removing the choke, but it's all just clipped in place. Either way, glad it's all taken care of now. The video makes it look really easy and it's not easy at all.

I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?