Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

my central astrovac has just lost its sucking power . the motor

Customer Question

my central astrovac has just lost its sucking power . the motor runs and there are no obstructions it the hose or the pipe. model sr50

do i have an answer yet. it's been a couple of hours

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! If you are absolutely certain there are no obstructions or plugged filters, the motor assembly is likely faulty. The instructiosn for replacing the motor are below.

1. Unplug the vacuum unit from the wall. If it is hard wired turn off the circuit breaker.
  2. If the motors are on the bottom of the unit take the unit down, remove debris bag, and turn the unit over. Disconnect the low voltage wires, if needed. They are small wires that follow the PVC pipe to the unit.
  3. Gain access to the motor compartment. (If motors are on the bottom, there is usually one screw on the bottom and/or one to three screws on the side.) Usually the motor shell will not come completely off but can be moved enough to easily access the motor(s).
  4. Notice the two or three wires coming from each motor. Disconnect each of the motor wires, or cut them in the middle where you'll later splice the new wire using a wire nut.
  5. There are usually two or three bolts, screws, or springs holding the motor down. Remove.
  6. Lift the motor out. There may be a gasket so lift with some force. If the motor has an exhaust port, slide it off or unscrew the bolt. Save it or buy another Motor Exhaust Coupling #507EX .
  7. If needed, clean off the old gasket from the motor compartment and place the new gasket on the motor with the sticky side on the motor. PLEASE NOTE: if your original gasket is not a thin foam pad they REUSE your original gasket no matter what.
  8. (Before anything is done with the motor check to see if it compressed in shipment. Reach a finger in and spin the fan. Listen for any scraping. To correct, use a screw driver to push the seam of the motor shell down a hair.) Place the new motor where the old one was taken out.
  9. Screw, bolt, or reattach the mounting.
    ***Do not use excessive force or the motor fan housing will move causing the fans to hit the housing when spinning. The seam on the side can be tapped down with hammer and screw driver if needed.***
  10. Connect the motor wires. There will be two blacks or a black and a white. The motor will run the same no matter if colors match or not. So don't worry if there is not a white wire to match a white (or black for black), just connect them. Splice the new wires to the old with wire nuts, or use connectors to plug the wire directly on. The green wire is a ground and if your new motor has one you need to connect it to a bolt somewhere on the unit.
  11. Plug the vacuum in and turn on the manual switch (or use the hose in the home after connecting the low voltage wire to the unit). The motor(s) should start up right away. Unplug it again.
  12. Close the motor compartment and put the vacuum back on the wall (if taken off). Connect the low voltage wire back if removed.
  13. Plug it in. Test it again.