Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Kitchenaid side-by-side built-in refrigerator/Freezer KSSP48QFS05.

Kitchenaid side-by-side built-in refrigerator/Freezer KSSP48QFS05. The freezer can still get cold enough to freeze water in the ice maker, but them warms up and melts the ice and thaws the frozen food. It seems to be cycling between freeze and thaw. When it is running in cold mode, it is very cold so I think the compressor/refrigerant system is still good. I suspect a defrost cycle issue. any thoughts?

tom goellner :

Yes could be a defrost issue - namely it is defrosting while running. Hang on while i look up jyour model number.

Customer:

Hi Tom. I am Tom, too.

tom goellner :

Need to prove it is a defrost issue . Remove the back wall inside the freezer and you'll see the evaporator coil ( the cooling coil ) At the bottom of this coil is the defrost heater and it has a wire connected at each end - remove either of these wires , then plug fridge back in and see if performs correctly - if it does replace the circuit board which is located in the fresh food side up where the control setings are.

Customer:

By removing the wire, I'm turning off the defrost heater which will keep the refrigerator/freezer in cooling mode, correct?

tom goellner :

That is correct . Either tape the wires or make sure they cant touch anything metal , because if there is a problem ( in defrost at same time it is runnin g ) there is voltage there

Customer:

The circuit board is the Main Control Board Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN(repair Clinic # XXXXX)?

Customer:

And if it is not a defrost issue?

tom goellner :

It shows this model has a defrost timer - part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN- see it at repair clinic. If not a defrost issue then check to see if the condenser fan and compressor remain running when it should be cooling - these parts are in back behind the cover

Customer:

I have removed the back cover. The defrost heater has two wires that are both tied into a plastic plug that mates to a matching set of wires that run to the defrost timer. I have disconnected the plug, which should behave as you describe above in taking the heater out of the loop. I will restore power to the frige and see what happens.

Customer:

The refrigerator is purring along nicely. Fan above the expansion coils is spinning away.

Customer:

I like the price of the defrost timer better than the control board. And Repair Clinic is just twenty miles from my house.

Customer:

I am seeing the first hints of frost in the freezer coil

Customer:

Both fans (inside the freezer and on top of the unit) are running.

Customer:

I cannot locate the defrost timer in my refrigerator. It is not behind the cover I removed. The wiring harness runs up the vertical duct un the back of the freezer section.

Customer:

I found it. The timer is located in the equipment space above the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since our previous chat, I have replaced the defrost timer and the defrost thermostat. My freezer again thawed out and melted the ice in the ice maker. I suspected a poor connection in the wire splice (inline crimp connector) I made between the old quick disconnect for the defrost thermostat and new thermostat, so I replaced it with wire nuts.

I has only been a couple hours since I completed this revision. Water in the ice tray feels cold, but is not yet turning to ice.

If my problem of overlong defrosting continues after replacing the timer and thermostat, what's next? The Main Control Board?