Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an old viking, second hand and the broiler does not

I have an old viking, second hand and the broiler does not work, the oven is very slow to heat but is adequate, the stove top works well. How to get repair to the broiler in the wilds of West Virginia
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I'm not sure who would be available to repair in your neck of the woods, but by far the most likely problem on an old range is just going to be your oven igniters. It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor (for bake) and the igniter mounted to the back of your ceiling (for broil) inside your oven are just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced.  Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing.  They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it.  Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace each one for you. If your location is out a ways, it may cost a bit more for service, but this is essentially what you'd be looking at as far as the repair.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!