Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My LFX21980ST LG refrigerator for some reason is not keeping

My LFX21980ST LG refrigerator for some reason is not keeping the ice in the ice bin cold enough because it keeps melting slowly and the water drips on the front door of the refrigerator
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

If water is dripping from the dispenser and you have an ice maker in the door, check to see if the ice maker is on or off. If the ice maker has been turned off, the bucket must be emptied of all ice cubes, or they will melt and leak out of the dispenser. This is because when the ice maker is off, air is not directed from the freezer to the ice maker compartment. If the ice maker is on, make certain the door to the ice maker is completely shut.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i checked all those probable causes before i posted my question..the ice maker switch is on and all the doors are closed but the ice keeps melting for some reason

You circulating fan to the icemaker compartment may be bad or jammed. That is the likely problem then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i also checked that by closing one door while holding the open/close button on the opened door pressed and feeling the fan that goes to the ice bucket, the fan is working fine

Ok what do you have the freezer set at and how cold is the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the freezer is at -6 and refrigerator at 36...and for some reason everything i have in my freezer is not frozen even though its kinda cold in there

Ok, that all makes a lot more sense. There is an issue with the cooling system. You need to remove the back panel in the freezer and check the evaporator coil. Likely you will see part of the coil is frosty while the rest is bare aluminum. If you see that you have a sealed system issue with a freon leak. That is why it will maintain refrigerator temps and not freezer temps. Secondly you should check the evaporator fan in the freezer to make sure that is running as well. Lastly you can check the fan by the compressor behind the unit and see how hot the compressor is...but from what you are describing it is looking like a sealed system leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if its a sealed system issue with a freon leak...how do i fix that?

You could not fix that as you would need licensing and special tools, gauges, torch, vacuum pump etc... to repair. You would need to get a licensed refrigeration repair company to fix that issue. Find out first by removing the back rear panel in the freezer to check it out first, but I think that is the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im pretty sure you are right..since im on the east coast(new york) its 1:41 am...so i will take off that freezer panel as soon as i wake up...thank you very much for your help..i really appreciate it

No problem at all. All I ask is please rate my help...bonuses are greatly appreciated as well. Thanks again!