Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

13 year old GE s/s with cold freezer and warm fridge; frost

13 year old GE s/s with cold freezer and warm fridge; frost accumulating on freezer back panel. quick fix?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

TPS24BP thanks

Not a problem. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10022/773797?RCAID=1000057

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!