Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis HE top load washer, Model# XXXXX

I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis HE top load washer, Model# XXXXX When it goes into spin cycle makes a very loud noise. This just started within the past two days.
Any idea on what it may be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

You are a victim of the bearing failure on this unit, Whirlpool who mad this for Kenmore has a repair kit for fixing it, it comes with installation instructions. THis is not an easy repair by any means but can be done. If you click on the blue link below you can order this kit..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your reply stated it is not an easy repair by any means. And I see installation instructions are included with the part. What if I have questions while installing the parts, can I return and ask questions? Do you have any additional suggestions on removing and reinstalling the part? Also I was asking about water in the bottom chamber of the inner tub and if that is a normal condition.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can come back here. you may want to also buy the installation kit that should be listed on the page with the part to make it easier. I can do this repair in under 1 hour since I have done over 50 of them, it may take you about 2 hours to do...

There can be about 1/2" of water in the tub also... so make sure you drain it before beginning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand the issue with the water in the bottom of the outer tub. I have pulled the inner tub out and their seems to be quite a lot of water in or around the area listed as the flotation chamber of the inner tub Is this a normal situation?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
not really, You may have junk in the pump also from the bearing going bad in the shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In checking the bearings and shaft, they do not seem to be in bad shape, do you think the added weight of the water in the bottom chamber of the inner tub could be the cause of the noise during the spin cycle? How do I check and repair this condition of the inner tub to make sure it is in the correct operating condition. I also checked the bottom of the outer tub and pump, their was no debri or metal shavings in the outer tub or pump.
Want to make sure I am solving the correct problem or multiple problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
When you run the spin cycle emptyis it making any noise then also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as stated above, the bearings and shaft do not seem to be in bad shape, I have checked the pump and their is no debri visible in it nor is their any metal particles in the bottom of the outer tub or pump. My question is with the added weight of the water in the bottom chamber of the inner tub (possibly the flotation chamber) do I have an additional problem that needs to be repaired and/or would this be the cause of the noise during the spin cycle? How do I check or determine if the inner tub issue is a problem? What is the repair process for this?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If the grinding noise is there with no water in it and on the spin cycle then you have a bearing problem, here is a video on replacing it. also how much water is in the bottom?

Click here for a video on how to replace it.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Their is approximately 1/2 inch or less in the bottom of the outer tub.

What is your response to the inner tub questions?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
1/2 inch or less would be about normal normally it is 3/8 or less. Again if the grinding noise is in the spin cycle then the bearing is going bad on the unit....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I plan on replacing the bearings as you recommended (this won't be a problem). The additional question: is their another problem with the water being in the bottom (flotation chamber) or inner tub? and what needs to be done to correct this problem.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
THe amount of water you are having is normal, as this is an estimation on the amount of water, the water is necessary to keep the seals moist so they don't dry out on you...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I have confused you, I used the term inner tub, I'm referring to the basket that has the flotation chamber on the bottom. Their seems to be a significant amount of water in this chamber, that is what I want to determine if this is another problem that I will need to address before replacing all components. Your thoughts?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking at the tub top where the ring goes around it? This is a balancing ring and should have fluid in it. that would be normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 90% sure I have liquid in both the top balancing ring and the bottom ring.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
yes that is used to balance it in high spin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If water is in the bottom ring or(flotation chamber) how will the basket float up when the tub fills?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
IT is for counter weight also, to compesate for the clotes so it installs enough water to work..