Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I have the side by side B20cs51sns / 102 refrig - freezer

I have the side by side B20cs51sns / 102 refrig - freezer and it has started to quit freezing. I have shut it off completely for 24 hours twice in the last month and then it seems to be OK for a week or so.
What do you suggest? Is it repairable or should I go shopping
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you tonight

repairguy :

Can you please give me the model number of your refrigerator, so I can take a look at the service manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already provided the model

B20cs51 sns / 02

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave you the model number in the original question

Bosch B 20cs51 sns / 02

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry it did not come up the first time. I have a couple questions real quick. After your 24 hour defrost does the unit work good? and if so for how long does it last until you notice trouble with the temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked good for about 1 week

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
When you turn it off did you notice any ice build up on the rear panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not pull the unit out from the wall but after it was off for 24 hours I really doubt that there would be any icy build up

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
NO I'm sorry i guess I did not explain myself correctly. Before you turned the unit off, inside the freezer compartment along the back wall did you notice any ice? This unit only cools on the freezer side through the evaporator, then it uses fans to force the cool air around the unit. What I believe is happening is the unit is not defrosting correctly, and when it freezes up you lose the cooling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was no ice build up inside the freezer compartment before I shut it off

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
There are only a few parts that cause this problem, and even if you did not see the ice, most likely it was still there, that is why after it defrost everything works for a short time. It is rare that the heater itself goes defective, but there is a sensor I would recommend changing.
Will you be doing the repair yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I would be calling a repair technicial unless you can tell me where it is located so that I can find it and replace it myself

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Bosch-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-B20CS51SNS02/1794/0165000/P0812006/00004?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=B20CS51SNS-02

This is a direct link to the page where your part is located. You will be replacing part 403. It is located behind the lower panel in the freezer compartment. It really is not that hard to replace.
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.