Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

5 star range, propane 48", 2 years old, worked okay 2 days

5 star range, propane 48", 2 years old, worked okay 2 days ago with 1 burner clicking and not igniting. Suddenly all burners, oven and broiler will not ignite, no burners clicking. Can we re-light the pilot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 1 year ago.

Repairman1981 :

There isn't a pilot on 5 star ranges

Repairman1981 :

If nothing works it has to either be a bad regulator or out of propane issue (if you don't smell gas when they are on) or if you do smell gas a power problem (the power runs the ignitor and the oven so everything would be dead if there was a power issue)

Repairman1981 :

\

Repairman1981 :

If you smell gas when a burner is on (not the oven, but a burner up top) then it's an electrical issue, if you don't it's a gas issue.

Repairman1981 :

Can you please report which it is

Customer:

Thank you-- electrical panel has been checked so it does not seem to be an electrical power issue. If there is a bad regulator would there be a gas smell? By the way, the burners light manually, so there is propane presumably. But can you light the ove

Customer:

Let me check on the smell

Customer:

what I meant to say, is there any way to manually light and use the oven as you would a burner?

Customer:

Yes, there is a gas smell

If you can light the burners it rules out the gas supply. It would be electrical, here's the deal though. The spark module to the burners, and the thermostat to the glowbar have no common parts that can fail and kill both. I would assume bad plug, unplugged connection or burned wire in the range if neither the oven nor the burners light on their own.

The module would be suspect if it's just the burners but it sounds like it's electrical. I would if I were there performing service start with a meter in the plug. Before you dive into the range looking for burned wiring connectors. With two people these aren't that hard to move out even though they look it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. OK, so it sounds like a bad plug, unplugged connection, or a burned wire in the range.

What does it mean to "start with a meter in the plug?" This means the plug in back of the range against the wall? Have two people move the range out, and look to see if it is physically plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just trying to figure out

1. what do we try?

2. can you light the oven?

Thanks

Take a volt meter and plug it into the plug that the range is plugged into to check and see if the range is actually getting power. Just because a breaker is on doesn't mean the range is getting power.
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands