Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My dishwasher has been broken for two months now. It starts

My dishwasher has been broken for two months now. It starts to fill up with water and then shuts off. I purchased a new panel and had it installed but it made no difference. Sometimes when I leave it on it tries to start up but then just shuts off again. What is the problem

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have model number? does it hums and cut off ,then tries and hums again and shuts off again ? thx

Customer:

there is no humming when the washer shuts off, The model number is

Randy 43 :

you said it tries to start , the motor tries to come on?

Customer:

I can't find the the manual for the washer. It is a GE Quiet Power 3

Customer:

the dishwasher does begin to run and I hear the water begin to trickle into the tub. then it stops and the washer shuts off

Randy 43 :

should be a sticker around the door frame or door usually

Randy 43 :

will it start every time with the water ,then stop later in the cycle, or does it not start at all sometimes?

Customer:

model is gld4560n10ss.

Customer:

starts every time with water for about 15 seconds then shuts off

Customer:

do u think it could be a clogged pipe

Randy 43 :

if it was a clogged pipe the drain pump would still be making noise trying to drain the water out

Customer:

ok. that is not happenong

Randy 43 :

does it drain? if you pick that cycle first

Customer:

after it shuts off, I reset and it drains. If I don't manually do it, the washer will drain on it's own after about 7minutes

Randy 43 :

so it fills and drains on its own but wont wash ?

Customer:

please understand. Every time I start the dishwasher it turns on, water begins to go into the tub and then it simply stops and the washer shuts off. that is it

Customer:

it doesn't kick into any cycle

Randy 43 :

but i was trying to understand your previous post where you said it drains on its own after 7 min

Customer:

the washer shuts off. after about 7 minutes it turns itself back on and drains itself. it does not go into any clycle at all

Randy 43 :

dishwashers only do 3 things , the fill , they go into wash then they go into a drain cycle , from your description you say it fill stops and does nothing then comes back on and drains , correct me if im wrong? ,to me that is saying the wash cycle is not working

Customer:

that sounds about right. When the water starts coming into tub it sounds weak as compared to when it was properly working. And now it never kicks into wash gear

Randy 43 :

ok , so if you leave it alone and let it fill and just sit there some water will go in then it is quiet for about 7 minutes then drains the water out , the wash motor that drains the water out also circulates the water ,it just reverses ..if you changed the board already , i would be looking for a wiring issue to the wash motor , a broken wire thru the door ,where it hinges , at the wash motor plug itself ,the timer connections , it looks like the motor is not getting any power in the wash cycle , .even if it didnt have enough water in the tub the wash motor should still come on and make noise after that initial fill cycle

Customer:

so I will need a repair person to look at this. How much will this cost do u think

Randy 43 :

not necessarily , if you are mechanical you can remove the bottom access panel and split the door , depends on mechanical ability , if it just a wiring issue problably $120 -$150 otherwise

Customer:

what do u mean when you refer to the bottom panel and splitting the door

Randy 43 :

the door is joined together inner panel and the outer door panel with screws , and there is a panel under the door you can to gain access to other parts