Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a Jennair SVD48600p range. The oven does not heat. The

Customer Question

I have a Jennair SVD48600p range. The oven does not heat. The bake element failed after throwing sparks. I replaced the bake element. It tests ok for continuity. I had a sears tech out and he indicated the relay board is bad. I had that fixed by corecentric. The control panel appears to function normally and enters the bake mode at 100 degress but does not change. You can hear clicking. The bake element does not change from room temp.

Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

tom goellner :

It sounds as if the relay board is NOT fixed. On the board there is a terminal marked L1 and another marked BAKE or BK - usually a yellow wire to that one . Using a volt meter and the oven on BAKE if you read voltage 120 volts or 230 volts between these two terminals, it means the relay is not closing the circuit to turn the bake element on . It reads 100 degrees because that is the lowest the display will show - it doesn't mean it IS 100 degrees in the oven, it won't go up until the oven is passed 100 deg.s.

Customer : My relay board does not have bake on it. From top left to right the connectors are: high, low, grill
Customer : on the lower right corner - NEUT
Customer : Bottom. LOW, HI, L1
Customer : I can send you a picture if you would like
Customer : Confirmed broil does not work either
Customer : Please explain how I can trace this back to the faulty part.
Customer : I do have a multimeter.
tom goellner :

See if you have 120 volts AC from L1 to neutral. If that is OK then turn the oven to bake. there are two wires to the bake element , one goes to the incoming line , check from that wire to NEUT - again 120 volts and the other wire from bake element goes to the relay board , follow it aand where it connects to the board check from that terminal to L1 . You should read no voltage with the control set for bake, if you read 240 volts the relay is not closing on this board.

Customer :

I will get to this today and get back to you.

tom goellner :

OK

Customer :

Tom,

Customer :

Sorry for the delay. I finally was able to get back to this. I tested L1 to Neut and it is 120. Looked at the next test you suggested and the description does not match the oven. The relay board does not appear to directly connect to the bake unit. This "relay board" I am talking about is on the lower back center of the oven with the connection points I previously mention. The bake (heating) element attaches to a pink wire that runs directly up to the broil element and that connects to another pink wire that appears to run back up to the front control panel. The other side of the bake element connects to a yellow wire that appears to run back up to the front control panel.

Customer :

Based on this information - what do you suggest?

Customer :

FYI - I am looking on the internet and there are differences between the SVD48600 and the SVD48600P - which is the one I have (SVD48600P)

Customer :

Still waiting for your response. Your answer to my first question still does not answer the question I submitted.

Customer :

Tom - I am not able to provide OK feedback unless you answer the question.

Customer :

Last chance - I will rate this as poor service tomorrow unless I get an answer.