Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

WHIRLPOOL MOD # XXXXX FREEZER TOO COLD, FRIG. TOO

WHIRLPOOL MOD # XXXXX FREEZER TOO COLD, FRIG. TOO WARM. EVAP COIL AND VENT AT BACK OF FREEZER ARE FROZEN OVER. DEFROST ELEMENT?? CONTROL UNIT?? HOW TO INSTALL REPLACEMENT PART??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

We need to download this tech sheet, we need it in service mode, I need to know the results of test number one, I need to know if it says "5" or "0" in the display when you do it..

CLick here for the tech sheet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First of all the nameplate inside the frig. gives Code 12, but the lights are only single digit. How come?

For service test #1 (Defrost Thermostat and Defrost Circuit), Result is "S" i.e. shorted.
In this context does Whirlpool use "thermistor" interchangeably with "thermostat"? It seems the set point would be programmed into the controller.
It looks like I need instructions on installing a new thermostat (thermistor).
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not , it means that the thermister/thermostat is good, your problem is going to be the computer/jazz board. you can order this part by clicking on the blue link below.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

Click on the link below to see how to replace this board.

Click here for a video on how to replace it.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With a new program board, how is the 2-digit (12 in my case) entered?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
On the instruction sheet and the video is should tell you how to do it? Once into programming mode. Did it come with the sheet?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed that you have not reviewed my answer to your problem, is there anything else I can do to help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not at the moment Charles. I have not yet installed the new board; maybe next week. If anything comes up after the frig has been in operation for a week or two I will send a question.

In the meantime I gave an excellent rating. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Have a great weekend coming