Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I have a Whirlpool Calypso dryer that is totally dead except

I have a Whirlpool Calypso dryer that is totally dead except the lamp comes on inside the drum. It is a model GEW9868KQ0 ans is about 12 or 13 years old. I've checked power into the unit and it is fine.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you with the problem with this unit today

repairguy :

Can you please remove the bottom panel and let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

I'm not at the unit right now. I would guess you want me to check the high limit thermostat or thermal cutoff components?

repairguy :

No they should not stop the unit totally, I can not see a wiring diagram, but am trying to locate one. There is a motor switch that I want to make sure is making contact and the belt is not broke

Customer:

There is no sound in the dryer. Except for the drum light it is dead.

repairguy :

When do you think you will be with the unit?

Customer:

tomorrow probably. I can send you a wiring diagram.

Attachment: 2013-08-01_230121_tech_sheet_8541836.pdf

Full Size Image

repairguy :

ok give me a second and i will look at it

repairguy :

Yeah you are going to need to take a look at that motor switch, one leg of it goes through the switch before it makes it anywhere.

Customer:

What I can't tell is whether the thermal cutoff or high temp thermostat would kill it. Troubleshooting doc seems to say no.

repairguy :

I dont believe either of those would, but there is a thermal fuse in line with the control and motor

repairguy :

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/3390719/2923?RCAID=1000116 Here is a direct link to the fuse

repairguy :

the other thermal cutoff would only stop heat

Customer:

There is a way to test the display panel. I'm not sure what I should see with a DVM.

Customer:

Page 7 describes the display panel test.

repairguy :

Why do you think you need to goto the display panel

Customer:

Page #4 Troubleshooting guide kind of says start here....

repairguy :

These manuals are great, but sometimes gives too much info

repairguy :

As a tech we are taught to go with the obvious first, check voltages, check all limits and fuses, if we have not found the problem with those test then we work through diagnostics.

repairguy :

I really think from reading the wiring diagram, you are going to find that thermal bad

Customer:

OK. I will check that at my first opportunity tomorrow.

Customer:

Thanks. I'll let you know the results.

repairguy :

Not a problem, if you run into trouble or you just want to ask something I will leave the chat open.

Customer:

My dryer is not fixed at this point. I verified all of the components and all tested fine. I am ill today and will not be working on it. What is your next best step to move forward?

repairguy :

The thermal fuse and the motor switch both checked ok?

repairguy :

I have not heard back and want to make sure you get this unit reparied

Customer:

Everything in the lower cabinet checked out fine. The issue was the display/touchpad. Once I replaced it the dryer worked fine.

Customer:

Those touchpads wear out if the same cycle is used over and over.