Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

While running the normal 70 minute cycle, my KitchenAir dishwasher

While running the normal 70 minute cycle, my KitchenAir dishwasher was stuck at "46 minutes left" indefinitely. Opening the door, the dishes look pretty clean but wet (and hot). I drained it (2 minutes drain cycle), ran the "rinse only" cycle (no problems) and everything looked fine. The same problem repeated a week later, exact same spot ("46 minutes left"). In between, it ran fine. Any clue what can be wrong with it?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Does your model have a HI temp wash button and a heated dry button on it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for taking my question.

The model has "Hi-temp scrub" option which I don't use.

It also has a "Energy saver dry" option which I don't use (the default is heated dry).

A few more details: the dishwasher is 11 years old, new motor from 3 years ago, with built-in garbage disposal. No signs of water or a clog as far as I can see.

close the door and press the following buttons with in 6 seconds of starting

Hi-Temp Scrub
Energy saver dry
Hi-Temp Scrub
Energy saver dry

All the lights should come on, let me know...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This seems to run a diagnostic test. The lights flashed 88, then went through 10 to 1, running different functions of the dishwasher. It took a few minutes, spending a minute or so at 3 and 2 (filling water, draining - so it seems). I didn't see or hear anything suspicious, warning beeps, or anything else on the display. Once it finished, the display went blank. The dishwasher is now again dry.

now run a cylcle and see if it still sticks at 46 minutes left. We done a computer reset and if that does not repair it, then we will to anotherroute..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, it didn't help. I started the normal cycle 30 minutes ago. It's now stuck again in 46 minutes. The lights on indicate "Sensing/Soak" and "Water Heating". I haven't opened the door, but in the past when I did it felt pretty hot - so the heat element is working. Perhaps the thermostat is malfunctioning? Any other idea how to proceed?

Can I get the complete model number of the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model KUDS011JBS0

Serial FL3719366

Type 577-0

This is a thermister failure, not hard to replace, you have to remove the bottom panel below the door, and unscrew it and plug the new one in, click on the blue link below to order a replacement..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question before I give you your well-deserved 5 stars:

Is this the same part as the following?

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-8269208-Thermistor-Dish-Washer/dp/B0050O1L2M

yes it is the same one, not much of a savings I see, but I guess with shippling you would save about $10.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got the part but having problems installing it. To get there, I followed the instructions at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Repair_Dishwashers/KitchenAid_Repair/Chopper_Replacement up to step 16. I can see the thermister peeping out of the large plastic cover, but I don't know how to remove the cover and get to the thermister. The only screw I saw was for the chopper cover (I removed it). How do I pull up the big plastic plate? Are there any hidden screws there that I don't see?

THis is installed from underneath the dishwasher itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So is it something I can do myself? Do I need to pull out the dishwasher, tilt it and replace it, or call a professional at this stage?

I can reach under from the front with the panel removed and untwist it to remove it, no tools are needed to take it out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found it, replaced it, ran the dishwasher - no change - it still gets stuck when heating water (this time it was stuck on "70" for 15 minutes before I stopped it). I double checked the thermister is properly connected. Is it possible the new one is faulty as well? Or is it another problem?