Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My ice maker makes ice just fine. However, the teeth dont

My ice maker makes ice just fine. However, the teeth don't start to turn unless I hit the metal on/off arm. As soon as I touch it, the turn on push te ice out. Why aren't the teeth starting to turn automatically?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can I get the complete model number of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a frigidaire Electrolux I see a model number listed inside the refrigerator. It is plhs 237zcbo
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
The best thing to do is replace the entire icemaker, however you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and checking the part the trips the ice maker and lubricating it to see if you can get it to work again, if not then replace it. you can click on the blue link below to order a replacement one for your unit.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you give me any sort of indication of what I would even look for to see if I can get it working again. Like I said, it makes ices just fine, and as soon as I tap the arm, it turns the teeth and spits the ice out.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I would remove the ice maker and put a drop or 2 of 3in1 oil on the metal shaft that is causing the trouble, and work the arm up down a couple of times. Taking this unit apart you may not get it back together again..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just curious, I am not very handy. How difficult would it be to switch out the old ice maker for the new one if I bought it?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
About 10 to 15 minutes, comes with installation instructions, only need a screwdriver to replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, is this the same model that you sent me the link for, but for half the price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/241642501-5303918277-5304458371-ELECTROLUX-FRIGIDAIRE-ICE-MAKER-OEM-/221258363082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338406b0ca

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Exact same one... It is a lot cheaper there...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long does the an ice maker generally work. Ironically, I just went to look at mine to see if it looked like the one In the link I sent you, and the ice maker appears to be working. But I just watched a video on youtube, and it seems really pretty simple to change it out. I just wonder if it is really only a matter of time until the whole thing stops working entirely. The current one is probably about 10 years old.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
THey have a life span of about 8 years before needing change. It is a best bet to replace it...
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although, not entirely the answer I was hoping you would give me, I do appreciate your time and effort, and actually, after watching the video on youtube, I am am fairly confident I can switch out the icemaker myself. I am sure my local repair place would have ran me well over $150, probably quite a bit more. Thanks.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
$180 is the labor charged for replacing an Icemaker, so yes you are well ahead of the game.... I know it was not the best news but at least it is repairable at your own hands..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, and new part, plus delivery on ebay is only $48.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
great, Good Luck and have a nice day