Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. I came back from vacation

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. I came back from vacation and it did not work. Any button I push gets the same response: 3 blinks from the Control Lock light...and nothing else. I cleaned out the base and the filter, tried vinegar/baking soda but it would not drain. Maybe related: my computer is on another circuit, but despite a surge protector, three capacitors were fried and the computer totaled.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Press and hold the CONTROL LOCK button for 3 seconds. Does the light go off and normal function return?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Only when a function light is pressed will the Control Lock blink three times. When I press the CL, there is no light.

So, if you hold that CL button in, it will not make any difference at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct. No lights go on anywhere. Only when I press a function light first will the CL light blink three times.

Okay, let's try a little trick. Turn the power off at the breaker or unplug the dishwasher. Using a hair dryer, heat each button until very warm while rubbing firmly over it. Then, after all buttons have been heated, restore power and see if the behavior changes. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems to be working!

That is great! Moisture gets in those pads and freaks them out. Glad it worked for you!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I didn't contact you to begin with. I've been fiddling with switches, cleaning basin and filter, and reading internet suggestions. So, in less than 10 min., you fixed it...fingers crossed! I canceled the cycle, will put the trays back in, and try it again. Thank you.

If it happens again, you may need a bit more heat, but that and the rubbing helps to displace the moisture. Replacing the touch panel will also fix it, but this is a couple hundred dollars less! Wink