Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Profile refrigerator is not refrigerating. The freezer

My GE Profile refrigerator is not refrigerating. The freezer works fine. When you take out the produce drawers and lift the plastic cover off that exposes the coil....it's icy. Using a hairdryer to melt the ice...the system recovers and the refrigerator gets cold again.

What is causing this problem?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the sticker there are 2 numbers PDS18LB:PDS18SB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I find the answer

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the refrigerator and remove the floor inside the refrigerator to see the evaporator coils. Now this gives you access to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer or the defrost thermostat, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.