Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My microwave has a light that shines down on my stovetop.

My microwave has a light that shines down on my stovetop. It has started randomly going on an off moving through the three light settings day and night. Finally an error message appeared--E5--but I can't find a listing of what that kind of code means.

What is the code telling me, and how can I fix the light?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this error code is actually designed to look like "ES" or SE in some cases. But it means that your touchpad is shorting out and the touchpad will need to be replaced. If you are handy, this is definitely something you can replace yourself. The touchpad is nothing more than a sticker with a ribbon cable connected to the control board behind the control panel.

First, start by unplugging the microwave. There should be 2 or 3 screws coming in from the top of the vent over the door. Remove these screws and pull the vent panel off. That will expose a screw over top of the control panel. Remove this screws and the control panel will pull off so that you can replace the touchpad. Use a knife and pry under the touchpad sticker edge to remove the touchpad. Then unplug the ribbon cable from the control board behind the control panel. Now just install the new sticker touchpad and you should be good to go again. The only good new here is that the touchpad is relatively inexpensive.

Below is a link to the touchpad you'll want to order and replace for your model.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband can't work on this today; will we be charged again when we get the part and try to install it if we have more questions at that time?
Not at all. Even after you rate me these questions are left open for you to reply back on for follow-up questions at no additional charge if you should happen to have any questions.